Search

Where for a memorable Christmas Lunch in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where for a memorable Christmas Lunch in Vienna

Hi again,
I am wondering if those very familiar with Vienna could suggest a few options for lunch on Christmas Day? I am taking advice to book ASAP. We are staying in Stephansplatz but will go anywhere, and any cuisine is fine, although it would be fantastic to sample Viennese fare. We would prefer smart casual rather than very formal, but would go with whatever options are available. Not too concerned about price for Christmas lunch, and we have adult children who eat anything!
Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 05:14 AM

I am not "very familiar" with Vienna but I do know that the Palmenhaus is open every day of the year. Perhaps they only serve a special Christmas menu on Christmas day, but if they don't, the menu is a combination of some classic Viennese dishes and some more international dishes. While food is not destination eating, the grilled fish that I ate there was very fresh and tasty, and overall everything was fine. No bad tastes.

The winter garden greenhouse setting is charming and cheery, the mood fits the description "smart casual", and the staff treated us nicely. It is busy and popular, including with tourists, but also with locals out in groups or with family.

http://www.palmenhaus.at
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 08:33 AM

If you want old (very old, c.15th C.), ambience, creaky floors, walls full of notes from distant past patrons (Beethoven, Brahms, Shubert, artists, writers, poets, etc)...we enjoyed this cozy place two different times. "Comfort menu," tasteful Viennese dishes. I'll post one of our pics below.

<b>Griechenbeisl</b>....short walk from St. Stephens. Usually classic pianist and accordionist at lunch and dinner. I am not ever mistaken for a foodie, both my late wives were somewhat. But for an authentic feel for old Vienna, this is a good bet IMO. Undoubtedly many other good choices in that city. (The Nasch Market for very informal kiosk eating is worth a visit).
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 08:48 AM

Pics are old...but applicable. Beisl is found at #7 and 8.

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...20739778043010
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 10:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I did a little searching this morning in German and found this short list that may be worth investigating (with a little help from Google Translate.)
http://lokaltipp.at/tools/saisonales.aspx?chn=9&id=7

Beim Hofmeister, a bit down the list, is our favorite casual place for Austrian fare when we're in the Inner Stadt, and where we take all visiting friends and family. The restaurant has been family-run for a long time, and is set in the former Imperial cow sheds of Maria-Theresia and near the Hofburg. You can hear the Schnitzel being pounded in the kitchen by the wife; the Backhendl (fried chicken) is the prepared the old-fashioned way (using a quartered chicken rather than strips like many places); and the whole place feels like you're eating at your favorite aunt's house. If you are seeking a Steiereck or Plachutta experience, this is not the place.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you tower - loved those pictures!

Beim Hofneister sounds like a must visit, anyway and will be convenient to where we're staying. We love character places, so all suggestions above sound excellent..... We have decided to embrace European tradition and do a Christmas Eve dinner, and Australian tradition with a Christmas Day lunch as well, so I suspect a siesta on Christmas Day will be in order after all this dining!!
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM

Was also going to suggest the Palmenhaus and/or Griechenbeisl. Both would make for a special Christmas lunch for different reasons.
Old Dec 8th, 2015, 02:44 AM

The very best tafelspitz (THE Viennese signature dish) is served at Plachutta. The make a 3-course-menu from this dish and you can choose between a dozen different cuts of beef. i would go so far to say a visit to Vienna is not complete without a tafelspitz menu at Plachutta. Also, great desserts (take Salzburger Nockerln).

Go to Plachutta at the Wollzeile.

http://www.plachutta.at/en/home/