Vienna Dec 23-27

Search

Vienna Dec 23-27

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna Dec 23-27

If my family of 4, including 2 college kids, decide to go to Vienna (will already be in Paris) from afternoon of Dec 23 (Thursday) - early morning Dec 27 (Monday), will anything be open? I'm concerned that Dec 25 (Saturday) and Dec 26 (Sunday) will be disappointments. Also, does everything close up for Christmas Eve?

Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:18 AM

topping in hope that someone with first hand knowledge will respond. It certainly seems that Vienna would be a beautiful place to be for Christmas. I know I encouraged you to consider it so I'm hoping that someone will be able to directly advise you. Good luck.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:23 AM

I know there are some Vienna residents who post, and will have better info, but I can tell you that Christmas Eve is very important family-time in Austria. I suspect most things would close early, and stay closed till Monday, the 27th.

~Liz
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Christmas is a beautiful time to be in Vienna.
Everything is open on the 23rd and I would suggest a visit to one or more of the Christmas Markets. ( these are open a night also- try some punsch) combine a visit to Schönbrunn Palace with the Market in the courtyard there.(In my opinion one of the best.)
Most everything is open in the morning of the 24th. But after 12:00 things begin to close quickly and those open are often in the middle of a party.
Usually by 16:00 ( 4 PM) most everything is closed as Christmas Eve is a special time for family dinners and gift opening. Even the Opera is closed on the 24th.
You can find a few restaurants open and it is best to reserve a table.Most hotels will have an open restaurant and this is an easy way to have a meal.
On the 25th most shops will be closed . Most restaurants and tourist sites open including the Opera, museums and theatre.
The 26th ( Sunday ) will find normal Sunday closings( almost all shops and some restaurants)Opera, museums and theatre open.

Still you should not be disappointed as there should be much to do!

note: Most Churches have a Midnight Mass
If plan on going be certain to go early, it will be packed.

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Molker, thanks for coming through with great info. Ily01, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas celebration in Vienna. It's such a beautiful city and should be very special for Christmas.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Any one else want to chime in? If not Vienna, where is the best place in Europe for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 04:26 PM

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in Innsbruck in '91 and Freiburg Germany in '92.
Although it was difficult to find a restaurant open (we ate at a couple of large hotels' restaurants), we'll always remember those visits...the Christkindlmarkts, the Alpine train rides, the Midnight Masses with choir, organ and orchestra, Black Forest excursion, etc.
That was pre-kids.
We hope to be able to go back with the kids next time.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 08:09 PM

We are also considering Christmas in Vienna with 2 college sons. We've been there in the summer and fell in love, and it seems like a great place to be in the winter too. We stayed at Hotel Zur Wiener Staatsoper, and while the rooms were tiny it was delightful and very convenient to everything. How are hotel rates? Do people come from out of town for the balls and drive room rates up, or are they reasonable?
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Okay, Molker, I give up: what is "punsch"? Perhaps I missed your earlier posts on that, but I certainly don't want to miss out at the markets next week in Vienna! By the way, thank you for your many informative and helpful responses to questions on Vienna and Austria: they certainly have made my trip planning more interesting. Best Wishes,

Big John
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Message Big John:
How long is your visit to Vienna?
You will need time to see all the markets and test some of our Punsch or Glühwein.

These are warm winter drinks to keep you in good spirits during the special days.

You will see stands that sell these drinks everywhere. Some better than others.

Generally Glühwien is red wine warmed with spices added. Some would know it as mulled wine. Glüh could be translated as - to glow. This can make you glow and you perhaps will smell its aroma before seeing the Kiosk where it is sold. Numerous ones can be found in the Christkindlmarkts.
Many will have souvenir mugs.

Punsch, my favorite, is special mix often different to each kiosk that sells it.
To my knowledge, it is generally a mix of wine, rum, orange juice, tea and spices.
However numerous recipes exist each a little different and alcohol content varies. Some may have raisins.
We have " Kinder Punsch" generally little or no alcohol or childs punsch
to " Turbo Punsch" with extra alcohol.

Punsch kiosks are easy to find , just look for a crowd of people each with a cup in their hand trying to stand in an upright position.
This is a tradition in Vienna and many people gather for a drink and good talk.
Prices vary from 2-3 euros.
Two nice Punsch stands are on Graben and benefit the Lions Club and I think the Kiwanis.
Another one is at Michaelerplatz across from the Hofburg.
Good punsch and nice atmosphere. It also benefits a charity.
Thank you for the kind words about the posts about Vienna.
You will often see posts from Viennese too. She is very knowledgeable.We both have the advantage of living in this beautiful city and try to provide a little insight and the advantages it offers.
If you are in Vienna after December 2nd, I will be back from a trip and would be pleased to invite you for a punsch.

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM

My wife and I spent almost the identical time period in Vienna last year. Molker's advice is right on the money. We stayed at the Bistol and had dinner on Christmas Eve in their Restaurant Korso -- memorable. On Sunday, you might try brunch at the Museum of Fine Arts where you can stroll through the exhibitions between courses. We have vowed to repeat the Christmas experience in , aah, Wien.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Message lly01--We just remembered that the Christkindlmarkt at Palace SchÖnbrunn is open on Christmas Day and on the 26th. I believe it is the only one to be open those days.

Regarding punsch - the testing team of Viennese and Molker with others tried Michaelerplatz Punsch today.
It was good enough to have a second cup and certainly helped to keep away the cold and wind. A most enjoyable time with very nice people.
For those visiting Vienna during this season, the same recipe punsch can be found at the Punsch Kiosk just across the street from the Freyung Christkindlmarkt. The proceeds of the punsch sale is for charity.
The pleasure of the good time is ours.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Gna Herr Molker,

Thank you for the thorough description of punsch and gluhwein: I remember with a good deal of fondness the gluhwein from the old days when I was stationed in Germany, and will hasten to find and enjoy the punsch as soon as feasible after our arrival on 30 November. Alas, we are only in Vienna through the 2nd of December, boarding a Danube Christkindlmarkt river cruise on the morning of 3 Dec. Our time is not fully our own, as we will be in the hands of the travel company, so it would make a rendezvous difficult to plan. But thank you most sincerely for the invitation to meet and sample punsch: as we say in some Southern US circles, you are a gentlemen and a scholar! And we do indeed also appreciate the good advice from Viennese, and wish you both well this holiday season.
All the best to you and yours,

Big John
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 09:43 AM

Message . Big John

Thanks for the kind words.

Enjoy the cruise on our Blue Danube and your time in Vienna!
Spend much money as the economy needs it!

No gentleman- no scholar- just one who tries to enjoy each day!

Merry Christmas!

Molker
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Bela,
You are a GENIUS. My wife and I are also going to Vienna for Xmas (flying in on the evening of the 24th, and out on the evening of the 28th). So thank you SO much for posting those opening times.
I am really really looking forward to it now, after reading all the positive comments about Vienna at Xmas.
Regards, and a very merry Xmas to you all,
Craig Magee.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Bela,
Thank you from me, too. My wife and I will be in Salzburg several days, then arriving in Vienna the evening of December 23 for 5 more days. I was wondering what might be open in Vienna. You've helped a great deal.
Happy holidays from Chicago.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 09:42 AM

We are a family of 5 with 3 college age children trying to plan Christmas Eve dinner in Vienna and New Year's Eve dinner/celebration in Prague. In Vienna, we are considering dinner at either the Castle Weikersdorf or at our hotel - Palais Schwarzenberg, but are also open to any other suggestions. No plans for New Years in Prague yet. Can anyone help with recommendations?
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

PVBPat....you sound alot like us! When I began this discussion in Oct, it was my family of 4, including 2 college kids. Now, it's 3 college kids (added a friend). I need suggestions for Christmas Eve dinner in Vienna. We will be staying in the center of the city, very near St Stephens. I would like a very memorable evening, that the "kids" would enjoy, with Viennese food. We won't have a car, so it must be accessible by foot or public transportation. Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks for all the responses to my initial post.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 11:22 PM

The Morwald restaurant in the Ambassador Hotel or the Korso in the Hotel Bristol would provide a perfect, but expensive meal. Reservations are a must at that time. Both are just a short walk from Stephens Dom
If you are staying in ahotel, their restaurant would probably be open. However, many other restaurants are closed to allow staff to be with their families.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:00 AM
viennese

PVBPat: Castle (Schlo&szlig Weikersdorf is NOT in Vienna! It is located in Baden bei Wien, a small town in the south of Vienna, 45 minutes to go by car.

Dining in the restaurant of Palais Schwarzenberg is very good. However, it is very formal. If that is okay by you, go for it!

Info about Palais Schwarzenberg in English: http://www.palais-schwarzenberg.com/en/about/index.html