Search

Choosing a city in Puglia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2019, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choosing a city in Puglia

Hi**

My husband and I are going to stay 3 months next year in Italy, more specificaly, in Puglia.
March, april and may.
We are retired and we do this 3 monts experiences on various cities. We´ve been already to Montreal, to Lyon, to Bordeaux, to Palermo, to Bologna and actualy we are in Seville.
We thnk that Puglia will be very intersting but we are having some dificulties in choosing THE city...not too big, not small... interesting, nice old center...
Can you help us??
We always stay in the same city, we rent an apartment and try to live like a local... We do speak italian. On weekends we like to go to cities around, by bus or train...
We are retired and we love walking, eating, drinking, living...
Thanks for your help
Katia**
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 09:31 AM
kja

Lecce sounds like it might work for you.
Enjoy!
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 02:05 PM

Two years ago I corresponded with a couple from Florida who decided to live in a perfect Puglia town, and they chose Monopoli. Their life was chronicled in numerous publications, including the Wall Street Journal. We provided some suggestions of things to do and places to visit. You might need a subscription to access this, but here is a link: https://www.wsj.com/articles/love-at...2w6xhnyx_VJxFA Our trip report can be found here: 7 days/6 nights in Puglia

I agree with kja that Lecce is a great choice unless you want to be on the water. Lecce had friendly people, great food and a very busy evening passiagetta. We felt very much at home there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 12:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got married in Lecce so I'm biased but I think it is big enough to offer you new horizons everyday. You also have two train systems and a Pullman coach station so you will not need a car all the time, the old town is very big which makes for great cafe choosing and people watching. You might want to do stuff like nonna-cookery courses and Ylania ar YLtours knows everyone.
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 06:49 AM

I suggest looking at the public transit system a bit before deciding so you can base the choice on the places you are going to be day tripping to. Even with a month, it could be a slight hassle. At that time of year and with your requirements, I would also choose Lecce, but I would also look at Bari.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:13 AM

3 months stay

We do the exact same thing (90 days in one spot). In 2016 we were in Monopoli and loved it. We stayed in the newer part of town right on the beach but it was a very short walk into the old town. They have a wonderful small port in the historic district and and have many festivals there. Train and bus connects are so easy that we had no problem going on day or overnight trips. It is 30 minutes from Bari so even planned trips to Prague & Amsterdam. We are 30 days into another 90 day trip now and are staying in Gaeta (west coast between Naples & Rome) and having the same luck with getting around and establishing ourselves in the community.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We recently visited Polignanao a Mar and loved our experiences there. However, for three months I would book a place in Lecce.
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmarchewka
We do the exact same thing (90 days in one spot). In 2016 we were in Monopoli and loved it. We stayed in the newer part of town right on the beach but it was a very short walk into the old town. They have a wonderful small port in the historic district and and have many festivals there. Train and bus connects are so easy that we had no problem going on day or overnight trips. It is 30 minutes from Bari so even planned trips to Prague & Amsterdam. We are 30 days into another 90 day trip now and are staying in Gaeta (west coast between Naples & Rome) and having the same luck with getting around and establishing ourselves in the community.
I´d love to exchange experiences with you... Is there a way we can talk?? my email is [email protected]
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Ok, now it's Lecce or Monopoli ...
Thanks so much to all of you for taking time to answare my question

Katia
Old May 14th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Lecce. A beautiful city and the day trips are endless.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 07:19 AM

I would be happy to visit this area for a week. Sounds amazing!
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 07:24 AM

Lecce, hands down.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lecce for sure. A three month stay, I would also be inclined to spend some time on the coast. Monopoli would be my recommendation.