Search

Chianti- Help?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Jenny

Chianti- Help?

Hello, <BR> <BR>For some reason I never get any replies to my posts...hopefully this one will be different. I'll be staying at the Villa Vignamaggio for 4 glorious days in September. <BR>I want to make the most of this time but am unsure how to go about planning it. My boyfriend and I will have a car and we will be driving to many of the hill towns. If we drive to these towns in the morning will the sites be closed for lunch by the time we arrive? How shall we plan our dinners? Where should we eat? If someone has an itinery for four days in this region I would love to see it. What are the must-see sites?We'd also like to go horseback ridding, is this possible? Any advice would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Jenny & Danny

Old May 26th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Audrey

Ask at the hotel about restaurants. We only stayed there one night but the restaurant that they reccommended (and reserved for us)was incredible!! The driving distances are short and you should be fine with seeing whatever sights you want. The Vinamaggio is wonderful and I'm sure that you will love it. <BR>As far as having a plan - I say hang loose, if you can. You have a place to stay and a car, everything else can just happen if you let it. <BR> <BR>Audrey

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:29 PM
K

We just got back from Italy. We spent 5 days in Tuscany. My recommendation would be to see Volterra, San Gimignano, Siena and we loved the drive from Poggibonsi to Castellina in Chianti on S429. You are driving along the ridge top and can look down and for miles you see hills covered with grapes. We stopped at a small wine tasting place just before Castellina in Chianti that was charming. <BR>I am not sure what you mean by sites? <BR>Ask your hotel. Italy has so many holidays that only your hotel could keep up with what is closed. <BR>Fortunately my hotel made my reservation for the Statue of David, as the day I had planned to visit it, it was closed and therefor we changed our itinerary to fit.

Old May 27th, 2001, 12:42 AM
Mary

We are returning to Italy this week. One of our favorite parts of the trip is Tuscany. We get up very early (6a) and head out to the towns --the distances are short and there is nobody on the road that early--we stop and have cappucino along the way! Southern Tuscany towns of Montalcino , Montepulciano and Pienza are fabulous--Last year the towns were not busy--the stores open about 8 till 12- lunch is from 12 to 2:30 or 3, and then the shops reopen. This year I have reserved vineyard tours in Chianti. According to others on this post, Lamole is supposed to be great for views and dining! I will respond when I return the middle of June and give you an update for your trip! <BR>Ciao <BR>Mary

Old May 27th, 2001, 03:50 AM
steve

Jenny, check out my website, and if you have any specific questions about tuscany, feel free to email me. <BR>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Jenny

All: Thank you for the replies, this is great information! <BR> <BR>Mary: how do I reserve vinyard tours in Chianti in advance? <BR> <BR>Steve: your website is great, very informative. Thank you! <BR> <BR>Our entire trip to Italy will be 21 days. We are starting off in Rome and then going to Positano, Capri, Florence, <BR>Chianti, Venice and departing from Milan. I have most of the trip well planned, it is just the Chianti region that has me a bit concerned. I guess I'll just let loose and enjoy the experience. I'm so excited! <BR> <BR>Jenny

Old May 28th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Mary

Jenny, <BR>I went to a few websites with Tuscan vineyards, narrowed down to the vineyards I have read about either in this forum or in travel books--- I emailed the vineyard directly and they responded within 24 hours. For example, the Verrazano vineyards only give tours at 11 am with reservations, so I was glad to find that out so we could plan our day accordingly-- <BR>Last year when we to Tuscany we missed alot vineyard wine tastings and tours due to time factors. <BR>Enjoy! <BR>Mary

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Ruth

We were in Tuscany in September 1998 and went to a local wine festival in Panzano, which was a lot of fun. So my recommendation is, when you get there, ask if there are any wine festivals in the vicinity during your visit.

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Carol M.

Jenny: Just got back from 2 weeks in Italy. Milan, Bellagio, Venice, Rimini, Florence, Siena, Pisa, S.Margherita. My best advise is to ask at the hotel desk for just about anything you want. They give good advise and are very helpful. Ask for a "non-touristy" restaurant. <BR>Also, don't make too many plans - just go with the flow and see what happens. We had no plans when we went there and didn't see things we thought we would but we did have experiences that we had never dreamed of. Everything is a new adventure. Enjoy!