Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

anyone out there rate hotels/restaurants in 'rants and raves' section?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:38 AM
iwish

There is so much info on this board but so little in the rants and raves section. just wondering if anyone bothers with it.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Thyra

I use it all the time.. booked my hotel for our upcoming (day after tomorrow) trip to NYC after reading favorable reviews on the Rants and Raves board. IMO Rants and Raves is underutilized, but I hope it catches on. I also try to write reviews whenever I have gone somewhere listed. It really is so much easier and direct then searching on the forum, if all you are trying to get is Hotel and Restaurant info.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Danna

I have contributed to the Hotel Washington, but I don't know the others. I looked at it when planning my trip. Good idea to bring this up in a thread for others to contribute to! Thanks

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Judy

Thyra, I agree that Rants & Raves is not used enough. I try to use it when ever possible. I used it recently to help me sort through some restaurants for our trip to London, specifically, Belgo Centrall(was great fun, by the way). <BR>Judy

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:47 PM
sharon

i use it all of the time. both for researching and for sharing my own experiences. often when i come home from a trip or dinner, the first thing i do is post to rants and raves.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:59 PM
Paul

It is quite interesting but has one major drawback. That is the establishments are limited to those recommended by Fodor's and nothing else.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:18 PM
Andrea

I use it to rate the hotels in Shanghai (where I live). (OK, if anyone checks up on me, I haven't rated very many yet, but it is on my "to do" list). <BR> <BR>I think the Fodors recommendations don't pay nearly enough attention to location, which in a city of 20 million people like Shanghai, is very important. <BR> <BR>I really like this feature and wish that more people would use it, too. <BR> <BR>(I've also just added a few more reviews for SH!!)

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:52 AM
iwish

I'm glad you do enter feedback. I also use it and respect individual's opinions more than the fodor's *s. I know their lists on complete but that's what these forums are for.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:44 AM
mark

I've used the restaurant rant/rave section for my trips to Budapest and Barcelona last year - Fodor's rec's and individual rec's helped tremendously. Living in NYC and being a "foodie" - I have contributed to the NYC section. I don't use the hotel rec's as much.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:02 AM
lisa

When Fodor's originally started the Rants & Raves section they did not have many destinations on the list available for hotel & restaurant ratings. At some point they added a lot more destinations, but they never made any "announcement" about it, and I think a lot of people didn't know that they could now rate hotels & restaurants in a lot more places.

Old May 5th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Jon

Jaya's post today about a London hotel reminded me of this one. I think it's worth topping. Rant's & Rave's would be a lot more informative if we would review our hotels & restaurants more often...it would also reduce some of the mundane posts on Travel Talk asking if the Santa Chiara is nicer than the Hassler. <BR>j.

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Judy

Too true, Jon....I have to remind myself to update my own R&R.... <BR>Judy

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:39 PM
ms

I agree.We all should use the rant&rave section more.

Old May 6th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Ann

I tried to use the Rants and Raves section as soon as we returned from our trip to Mexico, and was disappointed that only one of all the places we visited was listed.

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:22 AM
Maria

I would like to use "rants and raves" more but I agree it is hardly used for comments.If all the users on this site made comments and rated hotels and restaurants more often it could become a useful tool.I'm starting now and I'll try to rant or rave about places I've visited

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Rex

I agree that it could be better used. I intend to post new "reviews" on the following in the next day or two, based on travel earlier this month (May 2001). <BR> <BR>Grand Hotel Plaza, Rome - - lukewarm, expensive <BR> <BR>Di Fronte a (restaurant, near Spanish Steps) - - positive <BR> <BR>Ostaria la Carbonara (restaurant, Campo da Fiore) - - positive <BR> <BR>Fontebella (restaurant and hotel, Assisi) - - strong positive <BR> <BR>Minerva (restaurant, Assisi) - - mixed <BR> <BR>Hotel Bonvecchiati (hotel, Venice) - - mixed, expensive. <BR> <BR>Terrazza Goldoni (restaurant, "almost" part of Hotel Bonvecchiati) - - mixed, expensive. <BR> <BR>A little family-owned restaurant in Ravenna - - blanking on the name right now - - positive, good value. <BR> <BR>Albergo del Senato (hotel, Rome) - - strong positive <BR> <BR>Le Volte (restaurant, near Pantheon) - - strong positive <BR> <BR>Crown Plaza Minerva (rooftop garden restaurant of this very expensive hotel) - - positive, expensive. <BR> <BR>Vivendo (restaurant at the St. Regis Grand hotel, Rome - - an extraordinary looking place, at least based on the lavishly renovated public spaces) - - strong positive, expensive. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 13th, 2001, 12:20 PM
trish

i'm starting now to review past places i've visited.i hope more do the same.

Old May 13th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Rex

So now I see some of the problem with Rants and Raves - - there seems to be no way to add a hotel or restaurant not already listed there. Is this right?

Old May 21st, 2001, 01:22 PM
Rex

Well now - - here's a first for me (and all of the rest of you who live and breathe this board!) - - i just got an e-mail from someone who had what I posted on Rants and Raves with some additional questions (about the Grand Hotel Plaza). <BR> <BR>I answered her questions, but (as I always do), I told her that I preferred to answer (non-"private") questions PUBLICLY on the board - - so that everyone can benefit from the exchange of information. <BR> <BR>She wrote back - - what "board"? <BR> <BR>And we assume that everyone can find their way here! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:19 PM
Andrea

Ok, I've done my part - I've added some rants and raves again both for Europe and Asia. Topping - I'd love it if we all did this (and perhaps we should all lobby for an "Add a place" button . . . )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -