Chianti area what place????Help

Apr 18th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Chianti area what place????Help

I am plnning on staying in Tuscany 10 days. Iam thinking 4 days in Montalcino - maybe Hotel Vecchia Oliviera(anyone stay here)?? On to Chianti for 6 days this May 2004. I have read many posts both here and slow trav and i'm so confused. I am trying to make the most of my trip and I need your help. I want an easy location in Chianti to have great food, lots of wine, be able to get around to all the towns around Siena, Radda, San G., and visit winery's. It seems Castellina might be a good base, but I want to make sure. Has anyone stayed at Palazzo Squarcialupi in town?? If so what do you think?? My other thought is Colle Lungo or Podere Simpatico. Has anyone stayed at these?? I have seen nice places in Radda, but not sure this is a good location for seeing all sights. I really appreciate all the help you can give me.
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Castellina makes a great base in Chianti and it is a very charming town. It is very easy to get to other cities and winery's from here. Check out this website:
Locandalepiazza.com
It is just outside of Castellina down a dirt road. Once you get there you will know why you made the trip. It is gorgeous! You pass a winery on the way called Castellare. They will give you a private tour. Also, go to Osteria de Fonterutoli. You need a reservation - It is tiny and wonderful (And reasonable!)
Apr 19th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I think the link should be www.Locandalepiazza.it
Apr 19th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for the tip on Locanda Le Piazze. It looks like the location I'm looking for. The hotel looks beautiful, maybe a little more expensive than I was thinking but worth it. I just love these sites and all the advice.
Apr 19th, 2003, 02:06 PM

We stayed at Palazzo Squarcialupi last year while exploring the Chianti region. We liked it very much, and would recommend it. It is right in the heart of the tiny little town, so you can walk to any of the restaurants or markets after your day of exploring. We had a very nice jr suite in the back, very comfortable, with beautiful views of the Tuscan countryside( ask for a room in the back---the rooms in the front face the street). There was a very nice breakfast included, and the staff was very helpful and nice. The location of Castellina in Chianti is a great one for exploring the region. We went to Siena and San G one day, and another day just drove all over the back roads, stopping at various wineries. Also visited Radda and other towns in the area.
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Hi,
We stayed at a lovely villa on the outskirts of Castellina last year. It was close enough to walk into town. Here is the website: http://bsd4.itwg.com/hotel_main.php?id_hotel=13683&CODE=&language=en

We would definitely stay here again. Our room was huge and lovely. The breakfast was huge--meat, cheese, breads, yogurt, granola, etc.