Tuscany Inns

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Dan

Tuscany Inns

Hi. My wife and I are planning a two-week trip to Italy, we're going to spend a few days in Rome and a couple in Florence. After that, we'd like to spend a week or so exploring the Tuscan countryside and would love recommendations on moderately priced inns, farmhouses, etc. in and around Chianti. We'd like to get a few days staying at a working farm, but as Italy amateurs we want to know if there are any must-sees. Thanks very much.

Dan

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Dayle

Hi Dan!

We stayed at Hotel Residence San Sano near Lecchi in Chianti. They have about 12 rooms in old stone building that's part of the village, very tiny. Not a working farm, but surrounded by olive groves & vineyards.

We loved it! From Fodor's Inns & hotels of Charm & Character. 4*

phone 39 0577 746130
fax 39 0577 746165

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Ann

We stayed at CASALI DELLA AIOLA
53010 Vagliagli, Siena -Italia-
www.tuscany.net/aiola, winery and olive farm. It was lovely, and service was great. Vagliagli is a neat little town with one restaurant that is wonderful. Close enough to Siena also. (I'm sorry it is not a "working farm.")

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Steven De Salvo

Dan, I highly recommend Casenove, a beautiful and ancient farmhouse in the center of Chianti. My wife and I stayed a week there last year and we were extremely pleased with our choice. The main farmhouse has 5 or 6 units; there is also an annex that houses another unit. We stayed in the annex (Casenove 4). All units have old stone walls and French doors and windows that open to sweeping views of the rolling hills and countryside. It is perfect. Casenove produces its own wine and olive oil, which you can purchase, of course. The prices run about $1000/week, which is moderate and reasonable for the area. The property is owned by a Dutch woman who speaks English and her Italian-winemaker husband (who does not speak English); their vacation house is nearby, so they are available if something urgent comes up. You can find Caenove at www.rentvillas.com; just do a search for "Casenove" on the website. Rentvillas has plenty of other fine farmhouse properties, too, but I honestly cannot imagine a better value than Casenove. Our customer review on rentvillas is dated April 2001, if you want more comments.

The location of Casenove is great -- just a couple of kilometers from Panzano, a tiny hilltop village with several charming shops, and just a 10-minute drive from Greve, a nice market town.

By the way, I doubt you will need to stay in more than one place while you're touring Chianti. The region is fairly small -- you can stay in the same farmhouse for a week and take long day trips to various destinations (e.g., San Gimignano and other hilltop towns). This is true even if you're planning longer trips outside Chianti to other Tuscan destinations.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Dayle

Hi again Dan!

You might check out this site:

www.chiantinet.it

Residence San Sano is there along with other places that look very good.

Good luck!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:53 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Dan, Rather than give you personal favorites let me suggest going to this site and go crazy. www.tuscany.net
You can search by locale and type. Good luck--hard to go wrong.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Steven De Salvo

Couple more things, Dan:

(1) At Casenove, the rate is actually ess than $1,000/week (as low as $600/week) if you visit outside the summer months. Obviously, wherever you stay, the rates will be at their max in July and August. Tuscany can be stifling hot in the summer, and the weather is best in September, according to Casenove's owners.

(2) Rentvillas is one of the best sites for Italian villas, according to the New York Times. They have great customer service (an American agent will be assigned to personally deal with you and answer any questions).

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Dan

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:32 AM
dora

ann, we are looking at casa della aiola. Could you tell me a little more about it? they do not have a junior suite, only a double room. it looks wonderful on the website, but i would appreciate more of a first hand view! thanks!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Ann

Sorry, I just saw the question, we had a double room, it had two bedrooms and 1 bathroom. Nice furniture, definately a tuscan style feel. We loved the large windowed doors to what felt like our own yard. I plan to go again. Loved the little town it was in also.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Laura

Dan, check out the Karen Brown B&B book for Tuscany. We used 2 of her suggestions in 97 and found them to be exactly as advertised. We liked Podere Terreno, which is in Radda in Chianti, a good central spot for navigating, wonderful dinners served on a stone terrace under an arbor, comfortable beds, good hosts. We also stayed at Locanda Solarola, in Castel Guelfo, closer to Bologna. Absolutely lovely place, very Victorian, hand painted ceramics, overstuffed furnishing, and a pri fixe meal that people come for miles for BUT: in the middle of nowhere, and not a good base for exploring even. My point is, the Brown guides gave very accurate evaluations.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Carrie

We based ourselves in Sienna and then did day trips out to the small towns by car. If you want a fantastic restaurant away from a town with a view to die for it's in Lamole (the town consists of a cathedral, a store and bank I think) Ristoro De Lamole, Lamole, Greve in Chianti. It's on top of a hill looking out over the winery but part of the road is a dirt road. The owner Filippo speaks English and is quite charming and interesting to talk to. The food was as wonderful as the view!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:19 AM
carole

I have to second the last persons opinion of Ristorante del Lamole. We went there four years ago when we were staying in Greve and have reminisced about it ever since. Couldn't remember the name but went there again a couple of days ago and the food was again excellent. View, as you say, is to die for. Very peaceful - a moment in time!