Cheap Summer Flight to Germany

Feb 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Cheap Summer Flight to Germany

This will be my second time flying to Germany. Two years ago I booked a flight to Hannover from JFK to meet my friends a few months before July and August. I ended up paying about $950. This year I am on a budget, getting ready to go to college and would like to spend considerably less on a ticket, however, it seems June and July is not the ideal time to travel on a budget but I am also budgeted for time. I was wondering If anyone knows how far out I should book a flight to Germany, and who should I book it with,(wholesaler, flight auction,the actual airline through its web page, or a site like travelocity), and If there are cheaper airports to travel into instead of Hannover, like LHR or FRA?
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Diffficult question to answer. Try Kayak.com This web site will search hundreds of airlines for you. I booked a trip to Paris recently for an April departure. The price increased three times since I booked the trip.
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I got American end of May for lees than 600 with all taxes - found it after doing all of the buckets which were much more - that is from Chicago to munich - from JFk should be less - check for different cities and if needed take a train for connecdtion difference - we were going into Rome - flights were over 1200 and now taking a train for much less - now more money for travel and sight seeing. Good luck
Feb 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Try Continental.com They have a flight going from Newark (EWR) to Cologne (CGN), that has very affordable prices - $288.60 RT!, for winter travel. Here's a link to more info:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34946698

I can't tell you what prices for summer travel might be. You would need to research that for yourself. Peace, Robyn >-
Feb 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM

You might try LTU International Airlines (a German former charter airline which has been around since 1955). I arbitrarily tried June 21 - June 28 and got a fare including taxes of around $770 JFK-Dusseldorf for the end of June:

http://www.ltu.com/world/

Also, Lufthansa gives student discounts:

http://www.generationfly.com/
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I think the CO deal is history. I looked at the last dates $218 was valid for, and the fare was $478.
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM

What about cheap summer flights FROM Germany. I'm looking for Muc/Fra to Toronto, Boston, EWR, JFK, Montréal... (Toronto would be best!)
The EWR to CGN was twice that much going CGN-EWR-CGN
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:34 AM

we booked flights from Phx to Frankfurt for $628 - all inclusive with taxes, etc. This was with American Airlines, I couldn't find anything cheaper on the discount websites...I purchased 6 months out.
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM

logos - Just tell them you're a time traveler, and you want to book EWR-CGN-EWR with the return leg in the past!
Feb 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM

> time traveler,
Ya think? I remember Captain Kirk doing this in the late sixties. There are so many years gone by since then, they must have made some progress???
Feb 19th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone used www.wholesale-fares.com. Their fares are relatively cheap minus the taxes. But I do not know anything else about them.
Feb 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
JN

The Continental low fares to Cologne won't work for June/July. Best I could find newark-Cologne was $931.60 RT, all tax included
Feb 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM

try searching at www.farecompare.com

it'll give you options on different dates to different cities on all the airlines.

when you select the city you want and the weeks you are interested in, you can also further check the specific days, then it'll link to kayak.com for actual fares.

i've found though that once you find a sample fare that might work, you should go to another site and play around with dates there, but then i've been using it for mileage runs on a specific airline.