Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

cheap lodging in Berchtesgaden, Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a nice, charming but inexpensive place to stay in Berchtesgaden, Germany? We are traveling by train and bus, so it needs to be within walking distance of either. We plan on doing the eagle's nest tour, etc.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Berchtesgaden is my absolute favorite place in the World! I've had great luck booking through this site:

http://berchtesgaden.de/en/startseite.html

But I've always had a car to get around with. I've found the nicest places to be outside of town a bit. The area around Konigsee is particularly pretty and reasonably priced.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Have you considered vacation apartments (ferienwohnungs)? They are usually very cheap and wonderful. The Berchtesgaden region is full of them. Here is a great website: http://en.berchtesgadener-land.com/e...1,nodeid,.html. I agree with Zeus; we LOVE this area and have been to Schonau twice.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Please let us know what you consider to be "inexpensive". This can vary considerably from person to person.

We stayed at the Hotel Wittelsbach which is right in the middle of Berchtesgaden on Maximillianstrasse. As I recall, it wasn't far from the train station. It's a wonderful hotel with a great breakfast and friendly staff. It also has an elevator which was very important for us due to some physical problems my husband had at the time.

We paid 84E per night for a small suite, which we felt was a great value. However, this may be more than you want to pay.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Zeus stayed here and we did too--the people are great, the view is beautiful (Eagle's Nest)--totally recommend it!

www.gaestehaus-stoeckl.de