cheap accommodation in salzburg

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap accommodation in salzburg

hi all
going to salzburg, can anyone suggest places to stay that are cheap, looking for good transport links and close to city.
thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 12:48 AM
JN

What's cheap? When are you planning to travel to Salzburg? What level of accommodation are you looking for--in room bathrooms, or use of facilities on the hallway? Answer these questions, then look at the Salzburg Tourism site http://www2.salzburg.info/hotels_216.htm to come up with options, then ask here which would be recommended. This will get you farther than asking a rather broad question with no qualifying information to guide respondents.

I will say this: finding close in accommodations for under 100 euro in Salzburg is not easy. Most low cost places are pensions away from the Altstadt. Bus service is great, though, so selecting cost may not present much of an access problem.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 03:58 AM
ira

Hi L,

We will be staying at www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=ho

It is across the street from a bus stop.

Old Dec 30th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Hotel Via Roma
Nonntaler HaupstraSe 47
www.hotelviaroma.com

Wow, do I ever have a great hotel for you. We went to Salszburg in October and decided not to book rooms in advance but find a room when we arrived. We went to the tourism office and they got us a room at Hotel Via Roma Salzburg and we were very pleased. This hotel is about a 1/2 hour walk from the main center of Salzburg but there is a bus stop less than a block away on the same side of the street of the hotel that gets you there in 5 to 10 minutes. It was extremely convenient and I was happy to be out of the center and in a more quiet area and be able to get to the main center so easily. Read below what a great deal this deluxe suite for only 70 Euro per night was, which includes a great breakfast and free parking if you have a car. We would stay here again in a hot minute.

When we first arrived we were a bit leery as the carpet in main areas needs replacing and it didn't look great. However, when we got to our room we were very pleased. A huge room with a huge bath and tons of closet space. We reserved the deluxe room for two nights but decided to stay an extra night and were very glad we did. The room was very clean and well furnished with a large comfortable bed, two chairs and a table for sitting a desk and a mini refrigerator. The bathroom had no tub but the shower was huge and the entire bath was big and very clean with huge fluffy towels.

We had rented a car for travel around Germany and Austria and this hotel provided free parking in the rear, which save us about 20 Euro per day as that was the going rate in the public parking areas near the main town. They also have garages available for a fee if you want to have your car covered but we did not need that so parking was free. What a great deal.

The breakfast area seems to be newly refurbished and is large, bright and clean. They also have an outdoor patio area with tables where you can have breakfast or a drink in nice weather but it was a bit chilly in late October. The breakfast was wonderful, with a spread of meat, cheeses, breads, cereal, hot eggs and bacon, fruit, juices, coffees and teas. We normally eat a small bit for breakfast but the price was included in the cost of the room so we ate a bigger breakfast and were able to save by eating just a small meal at lunch. This was by far one of the best breakfast buffets I have had in Europe and the atmosphere was very nice.

I just can't say enough about how wonderful this hotel was. Look at the pictures on their web site as our room, for only 70 Euro per night with parking and breakfast, was about identical to the one depicted on the web site and was wonderful. The staff was friendly and helpful and do make sure you reserve a table for a meal at the attached Italian restaurant as it was really wonderful, especially the homemade ministrone soup.

The only drawbacks I would have with this hotel are that there are no little cafes and such in the direct vicinity but coffe,cappucino, etc. are available in the hotel at all hours, free with breakfast and a small charge of only 1.40 Euro at other times, and the bus is so convenient we were in the main town within ten or fifteen minutes of leaving the front door of the hotel, including the time spent waiting for the bus to arrive. The hotel does not have air conditioning but a large fan is provided in the room if needed and the room had nice big windows that could be opened to catch a nice breeze. Obviously this was not needed in October but could be a drawback for some travelling in the summer.

Anyway, enough of my rave about this great hotel. I would highly recommend it and I cant' wait to go back. My husband and I still talk about this great deal we found in such a wonderful city.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 05:47 AM

I'm with ira.

Am Moos is beautiful, friendly and has a bus stop right outside the door. Lot's of charm and a wonderful fruhstruck.

Cheers, the turnip