Chartres - Binoculars

Search

Chartres - Binoculars

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chartres - Binoculars

I'm leaving Tuesday for a 2-week trip thru Normandy, ending with a day and a half in Chartres. I'm sure I'll need some sort of binoculars to fully appreciate the stained glass at the Cathedral. I have some that aren't TOO big and bulky to take, but I still hate to lug around any extra weight for 2 weeks. It's too late to look for small opera glasses. My question: does anyone know if you can rent some kind of glasses at the Cathedral?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM

I don't recall seeing any place to rent binoculars when we were there last June. I would have loved to have had my Swarovski binoculars. Mine were in the hotel waiting to go birding in Switzerland later in the trip and forgot about taking them to Chartres. You still have Sunday and Monday to pick up a compact binocular.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM

I've been to Chartres more than a dozen times and have never seen a place where you could rent binoculars, though that doesn't mean it's not possible. I'd look on E-Bay and buy a small pair at a good price. I'm guessing you'll use them for other purposes, too.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 05:07 AM
ira

Hi Sue,

Does your camera have a zoom lens?

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I might just end up taking the binoculars I have. Ira, yes, it has a zoom lense. I'm going to experiment with that right now!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:33 AM

Sue4,
We are planning a 8day trip to Normandy in late September. I would be very interested in hearing about your trip, where u stayed, the towns u visited, etc.
Are u renting a car and driving? Hear that is the best way to get around .
Have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

trvlbliss, I'll definitely do a report when I get back. Yes, I'm renting a car after staying in Rouen for the first 2 nights. I'm really getting excited, but just checked the weather in France, and looks like alot of rain next week in Normandy! I've been to different parts of France lots of times in May, and it was always beautiful - oh well, maybe these reports will prove to be wrong. But I won't let the rain spoil my trip anyway!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM

I'm surprised your local shopping centre hasn't got a shop with small binoculars: you don't need formal opera glasses, just the kind of small binoculars practically every electricals shop in Britain sells.

Zoom lenses on most cameras just don't do the job properly. If you can't get to a shop, and you live in America, I noticed a number of airport shops in the US last week selling horrid little gift sets for $20, consisting of a cheap watch and some other trinket. In many cases, that other trinket was a small pair (easily fit in most men's trouser pockets) of binoculars.

Merchandised under signs like "$20 gifts". Most people would be mortally offended if they were given such presents - but the binoculars looked just what you're looking for.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 02:11 AM

Hello again fellow Sue.

Try a camera shop for a 'monocular' - they usually weigh only a couple of ounces, easily fit in the palm of your hand, and are not hideously expensive.