Chartering a boat on Hvar

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chartering a boat on Hvar

We plan on spending a week on Hvar this August- we were there for a couple of days last summer and loved it. We would like to use it as a base for dat trips to other islands (e.g, Vis, Brac, Korcula). The problem is the ferry schedule, particularly the fast catamarans, is hard to figure out and seems very limited.
Are there any boats at the harbor that take people to these place (like they do to the Pakleni Islands)? Is it possible to hire a private boat with a driver? If so, do you have an idea about pricing?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:52 PM

there are day tours to Bol, Vis, the Blue & Green caves, Korcula. On my first visit to Hvar I did a day trip to Bol - it was a long day. The following year I learned there are tours from Jelsa to Bol - and only takes about 30-40 minutes. I did a day trip to the Blue & Green caves - which was okay. But if your wondering if there are regular boat taxis that do runs back and forth throughout the day - no. However, you can hire a boat taxi - but it will be expensive. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Carta.
Can you tell me how to find out about day trip schedules? This does not appear to be the kind of thing one finds on the Jadrolinja website. Is this through another company or is it handled through independent people?
Also, we will have a car so getting to Jelsa should not be a problem- do you recall how long a drive that is?
Why were the caves only OK- crowds or not as amazing as reported?
Thanks so much.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:23 AM

There are plenty of tour offices along the harbor's edge with schedules - one company may do Vis on Monday while another company does Bol, then next day it may be switched - the companies work with each other so they aren't going to the same place on the same day - which allows visitors a lot of flexibilty I find. No need to reserve in advance. The Green cave was somewhat disappointing - there is a hole chisled in the top of a cave which allows light to come in - basically a dancing greenish blob of ligh dances in the water. ( I actually thought the tourists taking flash pictures of it rather funny.) Didn't get to the Blue Cave because of winds and waves - the 3rd time I've tried to see the Blue Cave (I wonder if it even exists - haha) They substituted something else to make up for not going to the Blue Cave. I would still like to see the Blue Cave - I think there is a Komiza & Blue Cave tour (I think). It's a quick drive from Hvar Grad to Jelsa on the new road. I'm sure there are tours from Stari Grad to Bol also. There are a couple great restaurants in Bol and Zlatni Rat is really unique. I recommend going to Bol for a day trip if not staying on Brac (which is a great island also)
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM

I spent 4 wonderful days in Bol (on Brac) in September 2004 (the walks along the promenade beneath the pines from Zlatni Rat to the little town are a highlight, especially at night), and yes there are charters from Bol to Hvar that take 3hrs to Hvar and less time to return (sailing with the wind) so I'm pretty sure that there must be trips originating the other way round too.

Let me know if you want more info on Bol and I'll see if I can dig up my trip notes/report.