Changing Restricted Airline Tickets

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Restricted Airline Tickets

Has anyone had experience trying to change the flight date of a restricted airline ticket due to family emergency? I have just booked a ticket through Opodo for a LGW-MSP flight with NW Airlines next month to visit an ailing mother in Wisconsin. She has now taken a turn for the worse, and I may have to return sooner than expected. Will my case be looked upon sympathetically, or am I out of luck?
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:15 AM

I'm very sorry about your mother, Heimdall. I don't know about changing a restricted ticket but if you don't get an answer here, ask at the Airlines forum, too. Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

I've reposted the question on the Airlines branch, but would be greatful for any advice from Fodorites seeing this post on the Europe branch.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 02:49 AM

There are different types of restricted tickets -some allow changes for a fee and some don't. You should contact the airline - they can tell you immediately by looking up your booking reference number
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Carrybean and OReilly. I am waiting for more info from the doctors before making a decision. In the meantime I am greatful for your thoughts and suggestions.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 04:37 AM

Yes you neeed to take the advice above and contact the airline. But do not depair! Two years ago I booked non-refundable, no-changes-allowed tickets on Alitalia from USA to Sicily. Three months before departure I had to have an emergency second hip replacement. I was devastated about having to cancel but even after almost three months, it was pretty clear that the trip would be a mistake.
I went to Alitalia office and was given a full refund on my credit card, no questions asked, when I presented the doctor's letter.
Because my partner and I are not legally married, he could not get a refund but was allowed to change his ticket to flights a few months later. I realize this has little to do with you, but it shows that sometime there is hope when it is not expected. Just make sure you have documentation..doctor's note is fine. If you don't get the right answer the first time when you call, try again with a supervisor. Hope all is well with your Mom.