changing planes in Paris

Search

changing planes in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing planes in Paris

We are going to Rome for the first time in May. We will be changing planes in Paris. The airline stays the same. Will we go through customs or security? We only have 2 hours, providing the plane is on time.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM

You will go through security but not customs. CDG is a strange airport that has not made the transition from pre-9/11 to post-9/11 very well. Much of the typical airport services (shops, restaurants, etc) are pre-security. Post-security, there is very little to entertain you in many concourses. Also, you have to exit the secure area to change terminals or even terminal sections (they call Terminal 2 a single terminal, but it is really 5 or 6 terminals.

Two hours is plenty, but the walks can be long. Just keep an eye on the clock, but you should be fine.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM

I should add that, if you are coming from outside the Schengen countries, you will also have to go through passport control (but not customs) upon arrival in Paris.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Is it fairly easy to know what to do?
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Easy enough. It is well-signed. It isn't as simple as many other places, but I don't think it should be much of a problem.

I am assuming you are flying Air France, in which case, they give you a pretty comprehensive connection guide when you check in.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:08 PM
ira

Hi B,

2 hrs is a good cennection time.

You will arrive at CDG.

Your plane will land somewhere.

If you are lucky, it will be at your terminal.

Otherwise, they will bring out shuttle buses to take you there.

You will be marched through a series of corridors to passport control.

Be sure to have a pencil or pen, as you will fill out a form.

Don't wait until it is your turn at the head of the line.

If no one else does, go to the wicket, get some forms and pass them out. This saves a lot of time.

You will then go through another series of corridors.

Odds are very high that you will go through security again.

If all goes well, you won;t have to run to your connection.

If you are coming from the US, you will probably land at T2.

Do you know from which Terminal you will leave?

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM

<i>
Be sure to have a pencil or pen, as you will fill out a form.</i>

I have never had to fill out any sort of form at CDG. And I have connected (to/from ex-EU destinations) via CDG 3 times within the past 3 months.

Do you actually have any sort of experience connecting at CDG?
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
Thanks for the info. We will be connecting on to Rome. Don't know which terminal yet.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 07:52 PM

bookmarking
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:15 AM

We landed at DeGaulle (from the US via Heathrow) three weeks ago with a 1 hour transfer to a different airline to go on to Venice.

We didn't go through passport control at all, (not at Heathrow, either), just walked to our next gate. (Well, not exactly walked. Even though it was in the same terminal, we had to take a shuttle. One of the added &quot;joys&quot; of traveling through CDG!)
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:39 AM
ira

Hi Mel,

You did go through passport control in Venice?

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 05:41 AM

I, too, am wondering about Ira's reference to forms at CDG. I just transited through that airport (also on a journey from the US to Italy with change in CDG) and certainly did not have to fill out any kind of paperwork.

If this makes you feel better, I had under two hours to make my connection and had no problem making it all the way out to Terminal 2G.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM
P_M

I made connections at CDG In Dec 2007 and I don't remember any paperwork. I'll be going thru CDG in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if this is new.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM

<i> I'll be going thru CDG in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if this is new.</i>

If it is new, it is new within the past couple of weeks, as I connected on a JFK-CDG-CPH itinerary at the end of October. I also connected on a CPH-CDG-NRT and KIX-CDG-NRT itinerary within the past couple of months. No forms in either instance.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
P_M

Thank you travelgourmet.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM

I can't remember the last time I (US citizen) filled out forms in ANY western European airport!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM

I changed flights at CDG this summer and don't remember filling out forms.
Luckily, it was all at 2F (landing and take off). You can find a map of CDG on the Net ( once you know the terminals ).
2 hours should be o.k.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Made a connection from US to Schengen and from Schengen to US at CDG 2 weeks ago. No forms for US nationals, plus airlines usually distribute or at least inform about any forms while in flight. Two passport controls though and you need to take a shuttle even from 2D to 2E, seems to be quite a walk.
There was plenty of shopping in the US-bound terminal.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM

I've changed planes at CDG several times and don't remember ever filling out any forms, either. In fact, one thing that surprised me upon arriving at CDG in September (not transiting) was that they have even deleted the requirement to fill out the usual landing form for foreigners that you give to the passport inspection folks (the one with your passport number, plane number, purpose for trip, address, etc.). Maybe they just have all the information they need from your passport and electronic means now, I don't know.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Ira, we didn't go through ANY passport controls. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. In fact, I wanted an Italy stamp, went to Info at the airport and was told that they didn't do that anymore--only your point of entry into the EU and exit. But we weren't stamped anywhere coming in! I couldn't even get the VAT office at FCO to cash my voucher because you have to present your airline ticket and they saw we were going to France. They said we had to do it at the final point of departure from the EU. By the way, this was bull--I know you can get the refund at any of the VAT locations, the guy was just lazy and passed the buck to the entire line of people.

Leaving Paris tomorrow and going home via Heathrow again, so I'll let you know if there's a check, but I just did this in January and it never happened there, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -