Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Changed Hotel Reservations. Is this good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Duke

We are going to be in Paris on July 18 for three nights. We have changed our Hotel Reservations from Quality Inn Abaca (15th) to Hotel LaSerre on Rue Cler. Is this a good choice? Has anyone ever stayed at LaSerre? It is almost within spittin' distance of the Eiffel Tower in the 7th if the map I've been looking at is anywhere near correct. <BR> <BR>I can read a map, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the easiest way to get to Rue Cler (which looks like part of it is pedestrian only). I will be driving in from Germany on A-4. Please help because I'm from smalltown USA and haven't driven in any cities of 10 million people like Paris. <BR> <BR>I would like to know the easiest route and any driving tips (time to arrive when there is less traffic, etc.) <BR> <BR>Thank You In Advance

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Beth

If there is a way for you to turn the car in outside of Paris, I would recommend that highly. The brief times we were in cars in Paris (one cab, one airport shuttle) were white-knuckle experiences to say the least. Plus, it was my impression that parking in Paris would be tough to find. <BR>As for the LaSerre, it is in a good location and close to the Eiffel Tower. It used to be highly recommended by Rick Steves but he took it off his recommended list this year because of some negative feedback. I know that there are comments about it on his web site (The Graffiti Wall), where I did quite a bit of research for my trip.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Thyra

Though you will find people who do take cars in Paris... I personally wouldn't recommend it, I second the above, if you can find a way to turn in the car before you get into the city proper you will probibly have a much less stressful Parisian Experience. First of all you certainly don't need a car to see the sights inside of Paris the city.. parking as stated above is difficult and as for driving....well let's just say my spouse who considers himself "king of the highway" took one look at the traffic around the Arc de Triumph and thanked heaven we didnt' have to drive in the city! I don't know all of your arrangements, but if this were my trip, I would take a train in from Germany, much less stress. But that is just IMHO. <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:07 PM
s.fowler

I lost a long post earlier so here goes again! <BR> <BR>Driving in Paris is to be avoided if you can. Having said that, if you must -- here is some information. <BR> <BR>Use Euroshell's site to find the best route to Rue Cler. <BR> <BR>If you are keeping the car while in Paris you will need a garage. The nearest underground one is only about 2 blocks from your hotel. If you drive AWAY from the river on Ave. La Motte Picquet you will find the Place Joffres garage on the right. The down ramp is just past the Ecole Militaire metro station. The sign is small and slightly to the right of the main street curb. I think it's a blue P. [The garage itself is under the end of Champ de Mars farthest from the Eiffel Tower. In order to park you need to go down that ramp and then get your ticket, from a machine I think. <BR> <BR>It will be at worst a 3 block walk back to your hotel so I would park and unload from there. As for unloading near the hotel -- I've never been quite able to figure out the Rue Cler "rules" -- Maybe you can go up on the sidewalk briefly on Rue Grenelle or Rue Champ de Mars. [They are the nearest cross streets. Each is one way in a different direction.] <BR> <BR>Your hotel is a basic 2 star -- but the neighborhood will make up for it <BR> <BR>Here are some websites to help you: <BR>http://www.ShellGeoStar.com/ <BR>http://www.infoparking.com/ <BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007laserre.htm

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:10 PM
phil

Don't drive in Paris! As one guidebook put it "Americans are not ruthless enough to drive in Paris." Drop of the car before you get into the Peripherique of Paris. Trust me! <BR> <BR>Also, you really don't need a car to get anywhere as cabs are plentiful and the Metro goes most places you want to go. Further, parking in Paris is a nightmare. In the Latin Quarter, the streets are narrow and it is not unusual to see cars parked on the sidewalks. <BR> <BR>I'm not familiar with Rue Cle, but several metro stops and the RER (the suburban train line) stop in the 7th.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Diane

No one else has said it yet, but I think you are very wise to move to such a WONDERFUL location. You will be very happy to have done so. Paris is a super city to walk and take short Metro rides in!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 12:49 PM
s.fowler

The Ecole Militaire [line 8] metro station is a block from Rue Cler. <BR> <BR>I emphasize again that driving in Paris is not a "good thing." The reason I have the info I posted is because our "family" from Skopje drove from there to the Rue Cler area -- now Ilija drives in Skopje -- so Paris [other than the one way streets] was not a problem! [The guy is a lovable balkan maniac on the road!] We DID make him put the car in the Place Joffre parking garage though -- while he's a SAFE driver, he still causes gray hairs on *this* head.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Duke

Thanks for the informative replies so far. Many have said to find someplace to drop off the car before reaching the peripherique. That's probably sage advice. But does anyone know where I can do such a thing? I will do that if somebody can tell me where? <BR> <BR>It is a rental car and we will have it for the duration of our trip, which runs from July 14-28. So we are going to be taking it out again-- back to Germany and such. <BR> <BR>Help some more if you can. <BR> <BR>Thanks again.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:24 PM
parking

I got this site for parking from the Paris Tourist Office: <BR> <BR>www.saemes.com <BR> <BR>We rented a car in Germany several weeks ago and drove to Paris. We had planned on parking on the outskirts, but after driving on the peripherique we decided driving to our hotel in the 6th couldn't be much worse. We were correct and found a garage a few blocks from our hotel where it remained for the rest of our time in Paris. <BR> <BR>If you are not used to driving in traffic I would look at alternatives. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Linda

Are you going to be using your car after your time in Paris? If no, I recommend you turn it in. If yes: What we used to do was to drive to a Metro station outside Paris (we lived in Belgium, so the closest was in Saint Dennis), park the car, and take the Metro in. It cost a bit to park the car for the days we were in Paris, but was well worth the cost.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:45 PM
carla

Traffic= MAYHEM, leave it in St denis , any price to park is worth it, we think the French are maniac drivers but they know where they are going, obey the rules,( which we would NEVER understand, its not worth the risk, stress and trouble!