Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I get from Bath to Stonehenge easily?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Krista

I would like to take a train from London to Bath for a day trip, but also go to Stonehenge. I know there aren't any trains and probably not buses, but are there any guided tours from Bath? I'm trying to avoid a London-based tour of both since I would like to do Bath independently and have more time there. Can anyone help?

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Bill I

This probably won't help you very much, because I have never gone to Stonehenge from Bath. But the 3 times I have been to Bath from London, Bath has been a full daytrip. We wouldn't have had time to go to Stonehenge. <BR>With that said, you can do Stonehenge on your own, from London, as a daytrip. Take the train from London to Salisbury. Then outside the train Station in Salisbury, is a public bus that has a stop at Stonehenge (you buy the tickets inside the station). If I recall corectly it takes about 30 - 45 minutes from the train station to Stonhenge. There is also a bus stop to see the ruins of Old Sarum. Then also time to tour Salisbury Cathedral ( the have an original of the Magna Carta there). & then catch the train back to London.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 11:45 AM
janis

If you are set on seeing Stonhenge I would rent a car early in the morning at Heathrow - drive to Stonehenge and then on to Bath. You could easily get to Bath before Midday and have a good 6 hours in the city before driving back on the M4 to Heathrow. Doing it on the train plus a coach from Bath would be pretty difficult and very time consuming. <BR> <BR>You can get a full day coach trip out of Victoria station that briefly visits Salisbury, goes to Stonehenge and finishes up in Bath, getting you back to London around 8PM.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:32 AM
jmk

I did the Salisbury/Stonehenge/Bath daytrip from London with Evan Tours out of Victoria Station earlier this year and felt that it a good, well-priced tour. I don't know of any other way to get to Stonehenge without renting a car--and that might prove more trouble than its worth. I booked the trip at Evans website before leaving the US.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 02:30 PM
jmk

Let me also add that with this tour you could drop the group at Bath,lingering longer and securing your own transportation back to London later in the evening. Good idea!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:32 PM
elvira

Here's the scoop: <BR>From London, you can go to Salisbury via train. There are tour buses that leave from there to Stonehenge (we did that a few years ago, and it worked out just fine). From Salisbury, you can then catch a train to Bath. You can also go to Bath by train, then from Bath to Salisbury (tour bus to Stonehenge) then Salisbury to London. <BR> <BR>I don't know how you could do it all in one day, though; each place will take the better part of a day, and Bath probably a whole day. To Salisbury is a good hour and a half, then another 40 mins or so to Bath. Unless you arrive in Bath at 8am, whizz through the town then catch a train to get you into Salisbury around 2pm, you'll never make it. Maybe go to Bath day one, stay overnight there, then Salisbury/Stonehenge day two and return to London....?

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Lynn

Krista, I can give you information on how to contact a guide, Glenn, who will take you to Stonehenge from Bath. He can get special access to the stones so you can go into the circle and touch them. (There is a barrier preventing access to the stones if you don't have special permission.) My husband, I, and our daughter spent 1 hour at sunrise within this circle with our guide. No other tourists. Such arrangements are made before or after the site is open to the public. We also toured several other sacred sites including Avebury, Silbury Hill, West Kennett longburrow, Merlin's mound, and sites around Glastonbury. <BR>Glenn was a most enjoyable British guide. He visited and stayed with us on a subsequent trip to the US.