Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Maribel and all, help me with with side trips while driving in Northern Spain (Basque country)!!

Maribel and all, help me with with side trips while driving in Northern Spain (Basque country)!!

Jun 29th, 2001, 02:32 PM
blanca

We are planning a 3 wk. trip to Northern Spain in September. Fly into Madrid. We know we want to start driving from Madrid to Santiago de Compostela then head along the northern coast to Bilbao and then to Lourdes via Pamplona and back to Madrid. Please tell me what side towns we should not miss!! What towns between Madrid and Sant. de Compstela! Is Salamanca worth a visit? What about any costal cities between Compostela and Bilbao? We definately want to see Altamira (is there a way to get tickets to the caves? We read it takes 10 mos. ahead reservations! We leave in September!!) And lastly, From Lourdes to Madrid? Is it better to go via Burgos or via Zaragoza? I know this is alot of info we are asking, but we are overwhelmed and are just trying to narrow it down. We are not interested in relaxing at the beach. We would rather travel to see as many beautiful/ interesting towns in northern Spain as is worth to see... Many Thanks!
Blanca

Jun 30th, 2001, 03:21 PM
blanca

Jun 30th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Cova

Hi Blanca,
regarding Altamira, from next 17th of July the "Neocueva" will be open to the public. The real cave will be closed for its safety, and you will be able to visit a reproduction located nearby.
I still don´t know if you can buy tickets online for this neocueva, but it might be worth checking.

Jul 1st, 2001, 12:06 PM
blanca

thanks for the info! Please tell me more anyone!!

Jul 1st, 2001, 02:45 PM
Maira

On our way to Santiago from Madrid, we stopped in Segovia, Leon, Ponferrada and Burgos and those were certainly beautiful cities. Salamanca is an absolute favorite city of mine; it is just breathtaking. I have posted many times on this topic. Let me know if you have any further questions after reading the already posted info. I believe Maribel still in Europe, but she has also posted extensively on this specific route. Definitely worth your time to spend an afternoon browsing and making notes on already posted info. Lot of driving, September is a great month. The drive thru the mountains is a bit tough, estimate twice the time

Jul 4th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Pedro

Seeing your already basically planned route, I think it might be nice some thing like this:

Madrid-Avila (walls)-Salamanca(Several monuments, really beautiful city, specially at dusk and at night)-León(Cathedral, nice old town)-Astorga(Gaudi palace, Cathedral)-Santiago( the old well preserved city)-Cudillero(nice cozy fishing port)-Oviedo(one of the nicest old towns in Spain)-Cangas de Onis(the bridge, Covadonga sanctuary)-Potes(the capital of Picos de Europa area, Fuente De cirque)-Comillas(some modernist buildings)-Santillana del Mar (simply lovely)-Altamira Neocueva-Santander-Castro Urdiales-Bilbao-San Sebastian.....

Jul 6th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Blanca

Thanks Maira and Pedro, we are incorporating your suggestions!!