Change hotels in London?

Oct 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Change hotels in London?

Well, Renaissance Chancery Court lists rates on their website for weekdays that are significantely more than weekend rates. I'm considering staying there on the weekend and then moving over to the Morgan Hotel on Monday! Has anyone done something like this? I'm looking at June, and everytime I check flights and hotels the rates are higher. Maybe I'm checking too soon and need to "hold my horses" until after the first of the year - perhaps they'll feel the need to "lure" tourists then...
Oct 16th, 2006, 01:54 AM

Flights and hotel prices are often higher during the workweek than on weekends because that is when business travelers need flights/accommodations.

I think you'll sometimes find that prices rise on Sundays because many business people travel on Sunday in anticipation of being somewhere early on Monday morning.

Rather than "luring" tourists the hotels and airlines may be assuming that tourists are going to want to travel during those times and charge accordingly.
Oct 16th, 2006, 04:24 AM

In my experience prices always get higher the longer you leave it, they never come down.
Oct 16th, 2006, 04:38 AM
ira

Hi C,

You are a bit early for June bookings.

I suggest holding off 'til Dec unless you have a particular flight and a particular hotel in mind.

Oct 16th, 2006, 06:37 AM

I bought tickets to London at the end of January last year. We booked for mid-June, which at the time was the same price as mid-April.

We changed hotels after 7 nights, as British Airways had a special of two free hotel nights with an airline ticket purchase. It wasn't a big deal, and we got to stay in a different section of the city, a little further out (Chelsea).
Oct 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

I was hoping to wait until January to book my flights. I've watched the rates go up over $100. pp in the last month on AA and BA (and this is JFK to London!). Surely, somebody will beat $800.+ pp eventually...

But, hotel-wise, I'm concerned that some of these places might book up. It looks like Londontown shows some good rates at times, though, closer to travel dates. I guess I could book something and cancel later if a much better deal comes up. I notice that Holiday Inn gives you a much better rate if you pay the whole stay up front. That's a little scary...

I was sort of looking at Holiday Inn Mayfair and Renaissance Chancery Court. It looks like RCC gets much better reviews but that Mayfair location looks great. Both places would cost me about $350. per night. Whew!