Bulla / Pufels Italy

Oct 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Bulla / Pufels Italy

Here's the question -- my wife & I plan to fly to Venice -- do 3 days in Venice -- and head up to the Dolomites for 3 days of skiing. Originally we planned to stay in Ortisei -- but finding a hotel in Ortisei in which you can rent a room for only 3 nights is proving to be an impossability. We were however able to reserve a room in Bulla -- Hotel Uhrerhof -- which has gotten great reviews on this site and others. But how do I get there -- do I have to rent a car? And how do I get to the slopes from there? If so -- where should I rent the car at Venice? Or do I take the train partway?
Oct 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM

I find it odd, to say the least, that the Hotel Uhrerhof only posts the directions on how to get there in Italian, but here they are, with my own translations:

"Treno: I treni IC ed EC fermano a Bolzano e Bressanone. Da lì si prosegue con comodi pullman o con servizi navetta."

= By train: The IC and EC trains stop at Bolzano and Bressanone. From there, one can continue in comfortable busses or with shuttle services.
(No further information given about either busses or shuttle services...)

"Pullman: Chi preferisce può arrivare da Bolzano, Bressanone o Chiusa (dove si fermano la maggior parte dei treni). Le fermate degli autobus si trovano davanti alle stazioni FS."

= By bus. If one prefers, one can arrive from Bolzano, Bressanone or Chiusa (where the largest number of trains stop). The bus stops are located in front of the train stations.

You can find train schedules for Venice to any of the three places mentioned at www.trenitalia.com.

The hotel also has a click-through to Hertz car rental, so you can presumably rent a car. You might find a better price throuh Autoeurope.

I have no idea how you get to the slopes from the hotel; you might e-mail them and ask:

[email protected]
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise! I have been in contact with the hotel -- and I saw the postings on their web site -- but when I emailed the hotel and asked about the bus -- they noted that they were not located in Ortesei and seemed to suggest that I would need a car. I suspect that while their english is much better than my italaian that we are still losing something in the translation -- hence hoping that someone who had been there might reply.
Oct 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Skiitaly,
We've stayed at Hotel Uhrerhof several times. In my opinion you will need a car. It is a wonderful pensione....with incredible views (great food too!). The views are wonderful because they are views of the gorgeous valley BELOW!!!
The last few kilometers are a step climb up to Bulla/Pufels.
We have not been there in the winter...just spring & summer.

We have left from Venice to Bulla...rented a car at Piazzale Roma. Make sure that you reserve a vehicle...and check on hours of operation!!

I hope this helps??
Oct 12th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Skiitaly...There is an english translation on Uhrerhof's website...

www.uhrerhof.com/english/lage.htm

Oct 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bailey -- I guess I am going to give up & rent a car. I was trying to avoid driving on dark mountain roads in the winter -- do you think I need to rent a 4WD? To rent a car in Italy -- are you required to have an International Drivers License?
Oct 12th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Skiitaly....Most of the time we have our international Driver's License...but we have never been asked for it!! I'm sure the first time we don't have ours....we'll be stopped!

We've never rented 4WD...but we haven't driven in the mountains in winter!

ps...When you are in the area go to Hotel Turm for a meal. It's located in Vols/Fie......amazing food!!!

Oct 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Bailey -- I'm writing down Hotel Turm.

Do you recall how long the drive from Venice took? How about finding the hotel -- straightforward?

Anything I should check out on the drive?
Oct 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM

From Ortisei, take the road for Castelrotto and then look for the sign to Bulla/Pufels take a left up to the road's end. There is a very small sign for Uhrerhof .....yes...you will be able to get through what looks like a 'too small' road.
You'll be ready for a grappa!!!

Time of drive....you'd think I'd remember.....I think under 2 hours.
If you don't mind e-mailing me....I'll check with my husband....he keeps track of everything!!
[email protected]

Oct 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great directions Bailey! Now to rent a car.
Oct 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Skiitaly,
Talked to Paul...he thinks between 2-3....if you go up the autostrada & not through Cortina.
Our memory problem has to do with the fact that we have approached Ortesei from every direction possible & we're having trouble remembering the time from each direction. This summer we came from Austria...last year from Milan....etc.

This February will be our first time to head up in the winter....we're going to spend a couple days at Hotel Turm. We'll be in Venice for a week & Turm is a little closer...plus we are curious about an overnight stay. As I mentioned before....our lunch was over-the-top incredible.
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Bailey.

I'm curious -- we are also heading that way in February -- leaving Venice for Bulla on February 26th after 3 days in Venice. Are you renting a 4wd and/or getting chains for your car?