Change euros to HUF

Search

Change euros to HUF

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2023, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change euros to HUF

Hi! Could you recommend a good place to exchange euros to HUF between Budapest airport and Lillafüred? Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 06:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
who uses cash anymore?
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 07:30 AM
J62

If you do feel you need HUF, then get them from an ATM. On top of the fact that fewer and fewer business use cash these days, even fewer (as in nearly nobody) exchanges one paper currency for another. Use an ATM.

Or even simpler.... just use euros..... (I'm sure some fodors omnicogniscnti will weigh in that "they don't accept euros in Hungary...".. ) I'm willing to bet you that anybody who only takes cash will be happy to accept euros - in a cash economy, everything is negotiable...

Last edited by J62; Aug 11th, 2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Many will take Euros, many will give you a terrible rate.

Still, try using Canadian Dollars in Texas.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 08:56 AM
J62

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Many will take Euros, many will give you a terrible rate.

Still, try using Canadian Dollars in Texas.
Agreed - but anything you may need to buy with cash would be small items, and the sugggested purchase price probably has more markup than any exchange rate...... There used to be a buying technique called haggling... it still works many places if you give it a try.

"I'll give you 2 euros for that".... or whatever price you think is fair to pay..... if they reject, you can decide to walk away....or pay it.. or haggle the difference. Monty Python haggling technique notwithstanding...

Old Aug 11th, 2023, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

who uses cash anymore?
Thank you for your enriching opinion. I have asked if anyone knows a good exchange place because yes, there are people and businesses that do not accept cards, not the general opinion on the use of cash. And yes, you can pay in euros but from my experience you always lose out.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 10:16 AM

"there are people and businesses that do not accept cards"

not many, the world is moving on, use your phone or plastic

I understand I'm not answering your question.

Last edited by Moderator1; Aug 11th, 2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: unnecessarily snide comment
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 11:17 AM

Don't take out ore euro than you need in whatever euro country you are visiting, and use an ATM on arrival to get HUF as J62 said. You will get a better exchange rate that way. Just don't take out a lot.
Quite apart from the security problem of carrying a lot of cash since Covid more and more places accept plastic, even on markets they have machines so you can pay with plastic.

There is probably a place to do a physical exchange at the airport but the rate will probably not be good. Have a look at the airport website they usually tell you such things.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

"there are people and businesses that do not accept cards"

not many, the world is moving on, use your phone or plastic

I understand I'm not answering your question. But seriously, change the question.
I work with antiques and we don't use plastic to buy abroad or when buying at particular homes. I use plastic in restaurants, shops and other things, but I work with local currency abroad and I know it's better for me.

Last edited by Moderator1; Aug 11th, 2023 at 02:07 PM. Reason: removed response to a deleted comment
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 01:00 PM

https://www.budapest-airport.com/services.php

ATMs and Currency exchange at the airport.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 10:36 PM

I'm sorry you felt I was rude, it was not my intention. On the upside I now understand your issue

If you are buying seriously expensive treasures then your seller will happily except US dollars or Euros. But then again they would also happily except electronic bank transfer, phone transfer or card transfer.

Carrying large amounts of cash should be a concern, too many of my friends, in the past, had wads taken off them so take care. The stories... but perhaps another time.

Hence I would factor this into my decision where to exchange, where and for how long to store this stash. I've used the airport services and pre-booked my exchange to lock in an exchange rate in the past but only for small sums.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 11:45 PM

I was in Hungary in December, and I got forint at an ATM in the airport. But there are many currency exchanges, and people do use them, including locals This one is pretty close to where you will be heading.

https://correctchange.hu/en/valtohelyek/miskolc

I used cash a lot, for bus tickets, from market vendors, at pubs.. I’m not in the camp of whipping out plastic every time I want to buy a tomato.

Old Aug 12th, 2023, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
I was in Hungary in December, and I got forint at an ATM in the airport. But there are many currency exchanges, and people do use them, including locals This one is pretty close to where you will be heading.
https://correctchange.hu/en/valtohelyek/miskolc
I used cash a lot, for bus tickets, from market vendors, at pubs.. I’m not in the camp of whipping out plastic every time I want to buy a tomato.
Thank you so much. I had two places listed in Miskolc but I want to see if there was one closer to the airport.

I'm sorry you felt I was rude, it was not my intention. On the upside I now understand your issue

If you are buying seriously expensive treasures then your seller will happily except US dollars or Euros. But then again they would also happily except electronic bank transfer, phone transfer or card transfer.

Carrying large amounts of cash should be a concern, too many of my friends, in the past, had wads taken off them so take care. The stories... but perhaps another time.

Hence I would factor this into my decision where to exchange, where and for how long to store this stash. I've used the airport services and pre-booked my exchange to lock in an exchange rate in the past but only for small sums.
I have been traveling alone since I was 17 years old. I think I know how to move around the world and I know my needs. As information I will tell you that both the currency exchange places at the airports and the banks for non-locals offer you a worse exchange rate. Likewise, the change applied when paying by card is much worse and you pay the things more expensive than if you find a good exchange house and pay with the local currency. And I perfectly know the payment methods that exist, but for me, many times, they are not valid and I prefer to simply pay in cash. Likewise, there are many places in the world with coverage problems (for example, my house), and sometimes it's impossible to pay by card. You can travel as you want and pay as you want, but me too.

Last edited by Besalu; Aug 12th, 2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 12:41 AM

"You can travel as you want and pay as you want, but me too."

'tis true, but you asked for advice. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 01:25 AM

Perhaps you should have made yourself clearer in your original post. We are not mind readers.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
Perhaps you should have made yourself clearer in your original post. We are not mind readers.
Excuse me for my English but what part of "Could you recommend a good place to exchange euros to HUF between Budapest airport and Lillafüred? Thanks!" is not clear? I didn't ask if it was possible to pay by card in Hungary. I asked for a place to change euros to HUF.
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 01:42 PM

@Besalu I don’t think you need to excuse yourself for your English, and your question was clear. Ask your accommodation, maybe they can be of more help. It is worth a shot.