Reload this Page >

Challenge Paris hotel experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 02:16 PM
elaine

I usually recommend that seekers of basic info use the Search feature but now that I've tried it, the amount of info is <BR>overwhelming, so I'll ask experienced travelers for specific hotel suggestions. <BR> <BR>I have been to Paris several times, but this time I am looking for a hotel with the following criteria: <BR>Near metro and bus stop. Quiet double room with two beds $175-$225. Availability of cont. breakfast helpful, not required. Must have elevator. Must have en suite reasonably modern bathroom with shower. Charm a plus, but this time around convenience and service rule. <BR>Prefer 1st, 8th, 6th, or 7th arrond. <BR>Do not want Hotel Marroniers, tried that once, double room was excruciatingly small and location not quite convenient enough. <BR>Stayed at the Lenox 10 years ago, room was also very very small altho I liked the hotel very much and the location was great. <BR> <BR>So what do you suggest?

Old Dec 2nd, 1998, 11:23 PM
Sue Thompson

trinite plaza hotel 41 Rue Pigalle 75009 <BR>9th district nearest metro stops are saint georges or trinite. Located between montmarte and the opera - breakfast and 1 3 course dinner with wine for a stay of 6 nights or more. <BR>Bath, Satellite tv, in room safe, mini bar elevator and cocktail lounge...rates are very low...about $110 usd per night. call me 800-577-2909 you would like me to book this for you... I have been a travel agent for 15 years and would be happy to assist you with your travel plans.....Sue

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 08:31 AM
Mike

The Grand Hotel Leveque is a quaint little Hotel on Rue Cler in the heart of Paris. The hotel is within walking distance of the Eiffel Tower, the Lourve, the Muse D'Orsay and the Hotel de Invalides. The # 8 Metro has a stop at the end of the block, the #8 line runs past the Opera House and the Galleries de Lafayette. The Rue Cler is a picture perfect Parisian street, with street cafes, wine, cheese and pastry shops. We travel to Paris in April 1998 and the weather was poor. But the hotel was grand. The Leveque was a one star hotel at the time of our trip, but was about to gain its second star about the time of our departure. The rates were great about $40 dollars a night (US). About half of the hotel staff spoke good english but with a little effort all could be understood. The rooms were newly remodeled, clean and of reasonable size by European standards. They had private baths, with shower, and a room safe that could be rented for 10 francs ($20) for the length of your stay. I learned of the Hotel from a newspaper review in the St. Paul Pioneer Press; the author took his teenage daughter there for a three-day trip over Thanksgiving.

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 09:25 AM
Donna

Le Pavillon Bastille at 65 rue de Lyon is an intimate townhouse hotel, its interior designed by Jean-Pierre Heim. Elevator, breakfast, warm and gracious. Located across from the Opera Bastille, close to the RER & TGV (Gare de Lyon), and minutes from Metro Bastille. Bus 28,29,63,65,91 at front of hotel. Rooms are either queen bed or twin, ensuite. The apartment is a two-bedroom, two bathroom suite. Magnifying mirrors, hairdryers, bathrobes, every detail! <BR>Charming cobblestone courtyard. A member of the Small Hotel Company. USA 1-800-233-2552. I have stayed there 3 times and we were very, very happy. <BR> <BR>Get out your Paris map, find place de la Bastille, find rue de Lyon, two short blocks to the hotel. My map shows 12th arrondisemont, but a short walk to the 4th. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 10:14 AM
Monica

Glad to read about the great review from Mike on the Hotel Leveque. We're planning to stay there in May. I received a letter from the hotel (400FF for a double with private bath on the street side). <BR> <BR>Mike, was your room facing the pedestrian street? If so, was it noisy at night or are the windows thick enough to silence the sounds? <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 11:38 AM
MIKE

Monica, the hotel is in a little neighborhood with about three blocks between it and the major thoroughfares, also the street is lined with shops so it is pretty quiet after about nine at night. We had a room on the third floor street side. The rooms have big windows and a good view down the street. Don't bother getting a fifth floor room the view of the tower is not that good. If you wish I can email you a photo of the street. The only problem we had was on the cab ride from the airport, the driver pretended to get lost.

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 04:17 AM
elaine

Thanks for the suggestions! <BR>

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 05:08 AM
Kathy

Monica or Mike, do you have a fax or phone # for the Hotel Leveque. We also plan to be in Paris in May and this sounds like what we want. Thanks. <BR>

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 05:38 AM
Monica

Kathy, their email address is: [email protected] <BR> <BR>I have their numbers at home if you wish to email me there. <BR> <BR>I had no problems emailing them. Received their response within 2 days. Double, street side, is 400FF. <BR> <BR>Maybe I'll see you in May!!

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 07:20 AM
Kathy

<BR>Monica, thanks for the direction. I faxed them and they have available rooms in May when we will be in Paris. Still undecided about front or back room, but not about the hotel.

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 08:48 AM
Monica

Kathy, I would go for the street side. Mike, who was there this year said that he was on the 3rd or 4th floor during a festival and "heard not a peep." I love to sit on a balcony at the end of a day of touring writing in my journal or postcards. Of course, cafes are great for doing that too!

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 10:36 AM
elaine

<BR>Just confirming one detail on the Leveque: Does it have an elevator? <BR>Do you know name of nearest metro stop? <BR> <BR>Also, are any of you familiar with the Hotel Louvre-Montana, formerly known as the Hotel Montana-Tuileries? It is located at 12 rue St Roch, 1/2 block up from r. de Rivoli in the 1st. <BR>Elaine

Old Dec 9th, 1998, 11:22 AM
Mike

The Leveque has a small elevator. the nearest metro strop is the #8 metro line. the station is the Ecole Military it is about a block from the Hotel on Rue Cler.

Old Dec 10th, 1998, 04:45 AM
elaine

Does anyone know why, when I try to print this whole exchange, I only get the first two pages but not the whole thing? I've clicked on the frame, and tried this several times. <BR>

Old Dec 10th, 1998, 03:10 PM
patti

elaine - you can always copy and paste the posts into your word processing program for printing. <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 1998, 01:04 PM
elaine

<BR>Yes! <BR>Thanks.

Old Dec 11th, 1998, 02:44 PM
Diane

Warning about elevators in Paris hotels -- they are often extremely small. Like maybe your suitcase and you

Old Dec 11th, 1998, 07:10 PM
John

I recommend the hotel de Suede, which I believe was in the 7th or 8th Arr. Small, very service oriented. Rooms are small but comfortable, beds comfortable. Bathrooms modern and OK. Very nice staff and very helpful front desk. They serve a great continental breakfast, with great chocolate or coffee with croissant in the lobby ( elegant tray served to us sitting in armchairs in lobby.) This hotel is about 5 min. from Vaneau metro, on Rue Vaneau, about 10-12 min. walk from the Seine, on very quiet street. Back of the Hotel looks out over gardens of the Hotel Matignon, the home of the French Prime Minister. I don't remember the price exactly, but believe it was about $180 for the double room, in June during the World Cup ( high season, to say the least).

Old Dec 12th, 1998, 05:56 AM
PRJones

Seems as if you have a wealth of suggestions of hotels to choose from, but here's one more. 3***,7th Arr., Metro Ecole Militaire just steps away. Near famous rue Cler market, near Eiffel Twr. Clean, nicely appointed rooms, some with twins, large baths, room service elevator, roomsafes, TV.minibar,cont. bfst.(extra)off lobby, outdoor terr. in nice weather, excellent restaur.,credit cards o.k.,Hotel la Bourdonnais, 111 ave. de la Bourdonnais 2 streets from Champs de Mar. Fax 45.55.75.54 Ph.47.05.45.42. Many medium priced restaurants & cafes in the area.Your price range. U.S.agent is The French Experience but you may save by booking it yourself. Fairly quiet street.We often had room on street but loved having the French doors & balcony. You can see the E.Tower.You get used to the traffic noise. Think there is hardly a neighborhood in Paris that doesn't have some. Wonderful location! Bon voyage!

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 08:20 AM
Julie

I am currently planning a trip to Paris in May99 and am researching hotels in the 5th and 6th. Last time I was there was May 95 and stayed in a wonderful,charming hotel in the 7th ,Hotel de Bourgogne et Montana at 3,rue de Bourgogne. Absolutely a great location to metro:Invalides, perfect for walking to numerous left bank and right bank locations ie. Jardins des Tuileries, the Louvre,Musee D'Orsay,etc. The hotel is a bit high end rate wise but the service was excellent, staff firendly and helpful with alot of details seen to efficiently. Our suite was very comfortable and well appointed. Breakfast delivered to our room was delicious. Great shoppong close by and a wonderful little park off the rue Saint Dominque across from the basillique Ste. Clothilde. Extremely safe area also at night as it it across from the National Assembly building. Wonderful brasserie: Le Brasserie Bourbon-good food and very french atmosphere. I would highly recommend this lovely hotel. Will probably stay there in the fall of 99 when I return . <BR>