Manchester United

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 06:06 PM
Nancy

Manchester United

My husband will be visiting Manchester, England at the end of February to watch Manchester United play soccer. It's a "guy thing" he's doing with some friends. He was wondering what else was in the area that he could visit. Museums, castles, Liverpool?, Wales? Transportation will be by trains or buses. Any suggestions would be a great help.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:05 PM
RON

HI NANCY,MANCHESTER IS MY HOME TOWN 16 YEARS AGO. UNITED IS MY TEAM "STRETFORD ENDER" I HOPE YOU HAVE TICKETS TO WATCH UNITED AT OLD TRAFFORD THEY ARE HARD TO COME BY.THERE IS LOTS TO SEE IN MANCHESTER YOUR HUSBAND CAN ALSO WATCH UNITED TRAIN (PRACTICE)AT THE CLIFF WHICH IS IN SALFORD NOT FAR FROM OLD TRAFFORD.THERE IS ALSO GRANADA STUDIOS WHERE THE T.V. PROGRAM CORONATION STREET IS MADE HAVE A PINT IN THE ROVERS RETURN PUB.
SALFORD MUSEUM HAS GREAT VICTORIAN STYLE STREET YOU CAN VISIT "WITH COBBLE STONE ROAD". ALSO THE ARTIST "LOWRY" PAINTINGS ARE SHOWN.SALFORD IS ONLY 2 MILES FROM MANCHESTER
LIVERPOOL, - GO THE MERSEY, ALSO GO ON A BEATLES TOUR.
IN WALES THERE IS LOTS OF CASTLES AND SMALL NEAT VILLAGES TO VISIT ALONG WITH LOTS OF PUBS. (WHERE TOM JONES CAME FROM) IF HE IS BEFORE YOUR TIME YOU HAD BETTER REPLY TO MY SON???
NO PROBLEM IN GETTING AROUND EITHER BY TRAIN OR BUS . MANCHESTER AND MOST MAJOR CITYS HAS LARGE TRAIN AND BUS STATIONS.
ALSO BOLTON IS ONLY TEN MILES AWAY THEY HAVE BOLTON WANDERERS FOOTBALL TEAM(SOCCER)THERE IS NOT MUCH TO SEE IN BOLTON. BUT THEY HAVE SOME NICE PUBS.
ANY WAY GOOD LUCK AND TAKE AN UMBRELLA WITH YOU.

Old Jan 6th, 1999, 07:41 PM
Nancy

Ron, Thanks so much for all your suggestions, including the umbrella! He knows that the weather will be poor but they do have tickets, and they can't wait to go!

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 01:24 AM
Nigel Doran

Hello
I am originally from Stockport, in the conurbation of Greater Manchester and know the city of Manchester well.
As well as the football, your husband will enjoy the architecture around Albert Square and St Ann's Square, where there is also good shopping.
Nightlife is good too, with plenty of pubs, both modern and traditional. Try the Briton's Protectorate or the Peak of the Peveril, near to the G-Mex exhibition centre. Or there is Barca and Duke's 92, near the canals in Castlefield. Pubs on Deansgate are good too. If he likes music, then he should go to the brand new Symphony Hall, home of the Halle orchestra, situated near to G-Mex again.The Royal Exchange Theatre is a nationally-renowned one, recently refurbished after the damage caused by the massive I R A bomb in 1996. The Museum of Industry is interesting, focusing on how Manchester was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution.
I would not recommend the Granada Studios Tour because it would mean little to foreign visitors, concentrating as it does on U K programmes.
Outside Manchester he could visit Buxton, a pretty spa town about 35 minutes away on the train. Chatsworth is also do-able, as is Liverpool {about an hour away on the trains, which are frequent. He should ask for a cheap day return to Liverpool, travelling after 930 if he is doing a day trip, or ask for the best value ticket if he plans to stay overnight.}
North Wales is not far away, but I would recommend at least an overnight stay. Chester is good for a day trip. York too is do-able if you travel early and return late, taking about 90 minutes on the train and costing about 15 day return.
City Life is the listing magazine which will be useful, and there is a city-wide public transport info. line, but I don't have details. The tourist office will.
Trains travel from the airport in Manchester to the city centre as do buses.
Email me direct if you need more information/pointers.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 11:04 AM
dave higginson

i am also from stockport which is part of greater manchester.i live in ireland at the moment , but still go to see man u once or twice a year . all the other suggestions are good, what i want to know is how the hell did your husband get hold of tickets i dont know where you live but people who go every week have trouble getting them. anyway tell him he will have the time of his life .and for him to get a bag of fish and chips from the chip shop which he will pass about 200 yards before the ground coming in from the trafford end.should go down well with the couple of pints of beer he will just have had in the trafford arms pub on the other side of the road from the chip shop. good luck
and i hope they win.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 11:05 AM
dave higginson

i am also from stockport which is part of greater manchester.i live in ireland at the moment , but still go to see man u once or twice a year . all the other suggestions are good, what i want to know is how the hell did your husband get hold of tickets i dont know where you live but people who go every week have trouble getting them. anyway tell him he will have the time of his life .and for him to get a bag of fish and chips from the chip shop which he will pass about 200 yards before the ground coming in from the trafford end.should go down well with the couple of pints of beer he will just have had in the trafford arms pub on the other side of the road from the chip shop. good luck
and i hope they win.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 11:05 AM
dave higginson

and i hope they win.

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 11:06 AM
dave higginson

and i hope they win.

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Zoe

A suggestion if your husband decides to visit the Liverpool area--north of Liverpool on the coast there is a little town on the coast called Formby (get there by bus or train). Near the beach, there is a National Trust-owned nature walk, the "Red Squirrel Walk", which is a marked circular walk through a pine forest. I was there in the autumn and expected to see perhaps one or two red squirrels if I was lucky, but I saw lots! It was lovely--quite the most delightful memory I have from all of last year.

If your husband wants to escape from the city for an hour or two and enjoy some lovely countryside, this is the place!

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 03:01 PM
Nancy

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've passed them on to my husband and he is very pleased with all the information. Dave, we live in Connecticut in the States. One of his friends has family near Manchester and it was thru them that they got the tickets. He had a good laugh reading your post. Great to hear from you all!!