Reload this Page >

Ceremony of the Keys

Search

Ceremony of the Keys

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:27 AM
pscaltreto

Ceremony of the Keys

Sent for admission to Ceremony of the Keys on 2/5/02 and received admission ticket on 2/14/02 (only took 9 days). Any recommendations for pubs in the area that we could visit afterwards or any places for dessert and coffee in the area? Thank you.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:36 AM
pscaltreto

Also, requesting tickets to live comedy show at the BBC on 4/19/02. Show starts at 7:00 p.m. and out probably by 10:00. Address is Wood Lane-White City Central.Any suggestions/recommendations for pubs or restaurants for coffee and dessert in that area as well? Thank you.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:25 PM
ron

Re pubs near the Tower, two come to mind.<BR><BR>1. The Dickens Inn in St Katharine’s Dock is large and popular. Way too noisy for conversation the night I was there.<BR><BR>2. The Liberty Bounds at 15 Trinity Square is nearer the Tower. A classy conversion of an old bank. I have only been in it at lunch, but it’s the one I would choose.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 02:42 PM
janis

The better plan is to go to a Pub BEFORE the Keys Ceremony. You could go to the pub around 8PM and then walk over to the entrance gate. Dickens Inn is a good choice since it is on St Katherines Marina and you can wander among the mooring slips or out to the river edge in front of the Tower Thistle Hotel (Magnificent view up at the lighted Tower bridge).<BR><BR>Then after the Ceremony - catch the tube back to near your hotel and possibly hit another pub there.<BR><BR>One note of caution - DO NOT BE EVEN ONE MINUTE LATE to the gate. You will not be admitted no matter how pitiful your story. The last time I attended the Ceremony, a couple who were meeting their friends (who had the ticket) were there in time, but the other couple turned up in a cab at 9:31 and they were all denied entrance.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM
pscaltreto

Thanks Janis--always appreciate your tips and info. Had thought about Dickens Inn after tour and before Keys but wasn't certain. <BR>Also, is it possible time wise to do St. Paul's before the Tower (same day)?<BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 08:47 AM
pscaltreto

Thanks Ron for your reply. A bank/pub sounds interesting.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Judy

We received our tickets for the Ceremony rather quickly too.<BR>I think the idea of the pub/ bank before the Ceremony, is a good one.<BR>Thanks for suggesting it, Janis and Ron.<BR>Judy

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 01:41 PM
janis

Actually the Tower (daytime visit) and St Pauls on the same day as the Keys Ceremony is not too bad. One problem is that you need to visit the Tower right at opening time to avoid Loooooong lines (no matter the time of year).<BR><BR>And you need to visit St Pauls before 3PM to be sure you can get to all of it before they start setting up Evensong.<BR><BR>So it would be a little hectic - but I've done it several times when taking friends to London. Get to the Tower by 9:30 (10 in the winter), go directly to the Crown Jewels, then go back to the entrance and catch one of the Beefeater tours. After the tour wander around on your own for a while and eat lunch - if the weather is nice there is a casual open air cafe just outside the tower walls on the river -- you can get back in if you exit the gate on the river side.<BR><BR>By now it will be at least 1 or 2PM - plenty of time to catch the tube over to St Pauls and spend a couple of hours there (less if you decide to not climb the dome). You might even (if your energy allows) have time to walk over to the museum of London after St Pauls. Then head back to Tower Hill tube station and walk over to St Katherines dock - eat - maybe walk across the bridge for a great view of the tower, etc. Just take it easy eating, drinking, strolling - And then over to the Tower for the Ceremony. <BR><BR>If you need to return to your hotel (for warmer clothes or just a lie down) then skip the Museum and you will still have time.

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Dan

topping for Sandra