Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Central spot from which to visit Albi, Cordes, St. Cirque and Rocamadour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in the Dordodgne staying near Sarlat for two weeks next July (family of 4- kids 8, 10). We will see many main sights west of there during those two weeks.
The week before we get there, though, we have an extra week to plan on visiting places like Albi, Cordes, possibly the Gorges l'Aveyron, and also St. Cirque and Rocamadour-including the caves north of St. Cirque and Figeac.

Ideally we will rent a cottage for 1 week, rather than spending overnights in various hotels on route- and just drive from the cottage provided it is central enough. What would be a pretty base?

Is the driving going to be too much from a central location? Are we better off simply focusing on the region by either Albi or St. Cirque? (My son gets a little carsick with twisty terrain- so we are trying minimize excessively long cartrips.)

thanks in advance!
Nicolena
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM

We've stayed for 2 weeks in a very nice Gite in Cayriech - which is a little northeast of Caussade. It is a farm complex out in the countryside. Beautifully decorated. Bikes for the kids, old farm implements, etc. Centrally located - but I would visit Rocamadour & Padirac on the way from Sarlat to this region.

We rented the gite through Gites de France. It is a 4 "wheatie" gite. There are two 4 wheatie gites in Cayreich - we stayed at Gite # TG869.

Hit the Sunday farmers market in St Antonin Noble Var & the Wed (I think) market inVillefranche de Rouergue.

Reserve ASAP.

Do you have my 35 page guide to the Languedoc??? It has some scenic drives in this region, our favorite villages, and restaurants write-ups. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu-

Yes I have your wonderful guide- more than enough to do for a year! I saw that Caussade is near a St Cirque- but I meant the one further north- St. Cirque Lapopie. Trying to get an idea about the driving- timewise and terrain-wise.

thanks- Nicolena
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Hi, Nicolena.

It's not fast driving in those parts, especially in the triangle between Cahors, Albi, and Rodez. And yes, the roads are rather tortuous. Still, it's gorgeous countryside.

You might consider Villefranche-de-Rouergue as a base. It's an attractive town and pretty much in the middle of the places you want to visit. If you want to be further south, you might look at St-Férriol, a charming lakeside town/village where I've always wanted to spend a night or two (but haven't). Or more west there's La Salvétat, also with a lake and a pretty hillside village. The last two are just specs on the map - Villefranche is a "real" town.

Keep in mind that you can visit some things on the day you drive to Sarlat - like Rocamadour and the Gouffre de Padirac, Collonges-la-Rouge, Martel, maybe even fit in St-Cirq-Lapopie (which, while very popular, deserves about an hour at most IMO).

Enjoy your planning.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq,

I will check into those towns. When we head to Sarlat though, we'll have a car full of six weeks of luggage, so we won't really be able to do more than take pictures from the car. Would you say there is more to do for a week near Albi/Cordes/Bruniquel or up by Peche Merle/Figeac. In the end we may just choose to pick one area or the other rather than being central, basically to avoid being in the car an hour to get anywhere. What do you think?

PS- saw you are planning a trip to NYC on your profile? If you need any tips- just let me know- we live in NYC.

Nicolena
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM

If you stay in Cayriech, here are the driving times to the farthest away sites you mentioned:

Albi - 1 1/4 hrs Beautiful drive. You pass through Cordes on the way

Figeac - 1 1/4 hrs You pass through Villefranche de Rouergue

St Cirq Lapopie - 40 mins

Rocamadour - 1 1/2 hrs - mostly freeway.

Other sites you mentioned are much closer than these. Lots of interesting bastide towns around there - some of my favorites are Castelnau de Montmiral & Lauzerte.

If you are staying in Sarlat for 2 weeks, you could very easily visit Peche Perle, St Cirq Lapopie, Figeac, Padirac, & Rocamadour from Sarlat.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu,

Hoping to get to all of those places. Thanks again for all your help!

Nicolena
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Stu's advice is good.

Nicolena - I made that, and several other, trips to NYC quite some time ago. I'm probably due for another one, though!
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Just let me know- can make good suggestions for restaurants.