CDW carried by VISA

Old Apr 13th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDW carried by VISA

I had some problems with my rental voucher and called Kemwel. The problem was resolved independently, but as part of the conversation the Kemwel agent suggested that I get a letter from VISA certifying that my card does carry the CDW because some rental agencies will not take the customer's word for it. The number to call is 1 800 8472911. I called, explained the issue, and in short order received an e-mail with an attachment which is a two page document certifying that if I (identified by name) am using the card under question, identified in the letter by the issuing agency and the last four digits of the card, I am covered for the CDW. The second page gives a check list of the documents necessary to process a claim. I've stapled both to my rental voucher.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 12:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Where? Country makes a huge difference.

>>The number to call is 1 800 8472911.<<

Wouldn't the contact number depend on who issued the visa?
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Where? Country makes a huge difference.

>>The number to call is 1 800 8472911.<<

Wouldn't the contact number depend on who issued the visa?
My credit union gave me the number and the address on the letter is Richmond, VA. So these are general platinum card benefits, not specific to the issuer. We discussed my travels and gave my card number, and the agent recognized that I was eligible for the coverage and that Portugal was an acceptable country. Only "the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Jamaica and Israel" are excluded. I guess one can now use the benefit on Italian rentals.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Well thanks an important question to ask when booking.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 02:44 PM
kja

In some cases, that information is included in a general use document you can get on line. I needed a similar document in Crete, and my CC (I don't remember which one I used for that rental) told me just to print that, and it worked.
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 03:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>My credit union gave me the number and the address on the letter is Richmond, VA. So these are general platinum card benefits, not specific to the issuer<<

I'm not 100% sure about that - my two credit union credit card's insurance are underwritten differently than my two non-credit union visas -- all are platinum. And it might be good to double check re Italy. Only one of my cc's (an AMEX) covers me in Italy.

Still good info -
Old Apr 13th, 2019, 04:31 PM
J62

I looked into this for an upcoming trip to Italy. My visa card does cover the CDW in Italy, but I chose to buy a zero deductible coverage rental through AutoEurope. For me the peace of mind of having a zero deductible through the rental car was worth it, as it did not want to have to pay up front for any real or imagined damage then seek coverage after the fact through my Visa.

In order for Visa to cover the CDW you have to decline all CDW offered by the rental car co.