Visa Application to Oz Denied

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I (both American) applied for an Australian Tourist ETA Visa online. Her application was approved immediately. Mine was not.

In order to continue my application, I had to fax a copy of my passport to the Dept of Immigration & Multicultural & Indigenous Affairs in Canberra.

We've been to Australia before without any difficulty. We've never been arrested and haven't even had a traffic ticket. I can't imagine what the problem would be. The only thing I can find out is that it will take three weeks to process my application.

Has anyone else run into this type of situation before? If so, how was it resolved?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Hi, JohninMiami!

No, I have had no experience with this, but it's the kind of horror scenario that I think about every time I hand in two visa applications. Now, your visa hasn't actually been denied, has it? You have been asked to provide further details, which may not really amount to much (as long, of course, as you can afford the time!)

Hopefully, the people making the decision will be fully aware of the need for urgency, and the problem will resolve itself without too much more stress. There's probably a perfectly good -- and simple -- reason for the delay. Maybe you have the same name as someone we tossed out last year! Maybe you're George Bush's brother! Anyway, it would probably be worth a couple of long-distance phone calls to the relevant Department to keep you up front in their minds; if this isn't possible for you, if you'd like to email me privately on [email protected] and give me the details I need to know, I'll be happy to call them myself on your behalf (only a "local" for me!) That's not a promise to "use my influence", you understand... frankly, I haven't any!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Did you use different credit cards by any chance? I just applied for mine last night and was at first denied (the message was rather cryptic) but trying a second credit card worked.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

No ozwild, I used the same credit card for both.

The response was not cryptic at all. It said, "Your application has not been successful...your application must be assessed by an immigration officer."

They did keep my contribution of $20 USD to provide for the "upkeep and maintenance of the website" though. The message also told me not to resubmit the application. My card would be charged for each attempt I made.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Is this possibly some sort of random check? Meaning possibly they just delay, every few applications in the name of "increased security". Like getting picked for a baggage search at random while in line at an airport terminal?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:58 PM

Hi JohnInMiami,

Wow, I haven't had this problem with the online process. Is your passport set to expire within 6 months, by any chance?
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 04:14 AM

Hope you get your visa soon.

Australia is probably the hardest country in western society to enter. It is essentially part of our culture to never ever let people believe they can just walk in at will.

Perhaps because we are an Island continent and can actually get away with it.

My husband is American and applied to immigrate here based on his marriage to an Australian citizen (me ) however it was still a stressed out process that found us getting his visa the afternoon before our flight.

I would never ever recommend that anyone feel that getting a visa here is a given. It is not. If you have no real reason not to be issued one you will get it but they will be thorough so delays should be factored in.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

You all bring up some good points. JetLag - my passport is valid for another 7 years so I think I'm ok there.

I have a very common name (John Smith.) After emailing Alan and thinking about some of the points others have made here, my best guess is that someone using my name has committed some heinous act (improper shouting etiquette or maybe driving on a dirt road in their rental car) and been thrown out of Australia. Or as Alan has pointed out, Immigration wants to make sure I'm not George Bush's brother!

Thankfully, we still have 6 weeks before we travel. My wife grumbles that I spend too much time planning ahead, but in this case, I'm glad I did.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:43 PM

So DropBear, I guess it isn't just rumored to be tough...it IS tough? I was reading through the immigration site last night. It seemed more open than U.S. law in that you could sponsor a spouse, fiance(e), interdependent partner (I'm not quite sure what that means) etc. But I guess there are more hoops to jump through than it appears.

So since it doesn't seem like it's easy for me to get there, especially if I don't want to marry the fellow, we're going the greencard lotto route here!

(sorry John if this doesn't directly apply to your question, but I was interested in DropBear's post, and didn't think my comment/thoughts merited its own thread. And yes, your wife should be very grateful for your travel planning abilities!)
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 11:51 PM

Hi John, I am a travel agent and i know that sometimes visa's get denied. The main reason's, other than having a criminal record is if you have a popular name such as John Smith, or something. It may be that someone with the same name as you has a conviction of some sort or it is checking that the person has not applied twice.

Your best option is to get a travel agent to apply for one for you and then they will send a fax through to the embassy asking them to clear the visa for you. It may take about 4/7 days to clear but if you leave it in the hands of an agent it will be chased up by someone in the know.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM

My wild guess is that it's unfortunately your 'name', anyway hope you get it soon. It is so sad the amazing restirctions placed on average travellers these days, South Africa demanding a full blank page opposite a visa, and the time and costs involved. It is sad when Australia promotes tourism so much in Asia yet it is only some who can enjoy the place. It is ironic that countries that have ( at least in the past ) had the most relaxed (not lax, just clear and simple ) policies such as Scandinavian countries and Switzerland have amongst the least 'problems' with illegal entries. I know so many people in Asia who simply don't travel to many countries on vacation purely because of the cost, time and hassle with Visas. When Indonesia toughens it's Visa rules though people are quick enough to jump up and down about it!!
Pity.....
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Woo Hoo! My visa was approved!

I called the Aussie Embassy in Washington D.C. They took my passport number, looked it up in their computer and asked me if I was George Bush's brother. (Just kidding Alan!) I said, "no I'm not" and they told me my visa had been approved. Easy as that!

We plan to visit some other countries in the next year or two and this has taught me to make sure I plan ahead when dealing with this issue.

Thanks to all for your input
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:10 PM

><

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Yay John! And now you have an experience you can talk about as well.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:05 PM

John!! Whew, huge sigh of relief here on this end!!!

You got me all paranoid about our passport status, I was going to apply in August,,, but I think I push that back a few months. Bon Voyage!

T
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Hi, JohninMiami!

Well, I sent you an email half an hour ago, as soon as I logged-on; guess I should have read this thread first! That's wonderful news -- that you are not George Bush's brother, that is -- and it is also wonderful news that you have your visa. You really should write a book titled: "Why it's a Hard Life when your Name is John Smith". Do you get snickers and snide glances when you book into a motel with your beautiful wife? Do you keep getting the wrong seats at the theatre and in restaurants? Do you keep opening someone else's mail? I bet you have a thousand interesting stories to tell -- and this makes one thousand and one!

Now sit back, relax, and have a good holiday!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Someone on this thread mentioned the 6 month window for passports. My passport will expire in Feb 05 and I'm going to OZ in August/Sept 04. It looks like I will have to renew my passport before going. Does anyone have any experience with the 6 month window and Australia? Thanks!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Most countries actually insist on at least 6 months Validity on passports.

Great the Visa came thru!!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Hi John I have been following this one closely. I am so pleased the Aussies have let you in. Well done you concealed your history well...lol

I must congratulate Australias immigration on their fine work. Please Teach the UK how to do it..

Muck
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mucky! I told Immigration that I would let my wife have the credit card and go shopping and they approved me straight away!

Simpson, I can't find the link but I'm pretty sure I read that you need the 6 months validity on your passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -