CDG to Paris (Hotel de Ville area)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are dropping off a rental car at the airport and need to get from there to Hotel de Ville (approximately) I know we can take a taxi, but, since we travel light, we are happy to do the train/Metro thing and walk shortish distances with our stuff. Any experience or advice would be helpful. Thanks
Jane
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM

RER Line B from CDG to Châtelet-Les Halles, walk underground for what seems like miles, then métro Line 1 one stop to Hôtel de Ville stop. OR get out at Châtelet and walk about 10 blocks or so.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:13 AM

Depending upon from which direction you are approaching the city, I would drop of a rental much closer to my hotel and avoid long train rides completely.

If you want to take the RER into Paris, the cost is 9.25€ each. You can exit at Châtelet and walk to Hôtel de Ville or take the RER A2 or A4 to HdV if it is raining.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we were actually trying to avoid driving in Paris. I am not at all a timid driver (have survived LA and Washington DC!!) but we just thought getting rid of it outside the city might be better...maybe I should re-think? We are coming in from the north-east
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:00 PM

Do you plan on traveling on A1, N2, or A4?
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Coming from Arras on A1
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 12:30 PM

CDG is on your way inbound to the city but you could just as easily continue on A1, exiting just before the Périphérique, continue southbound on rue de la Chapelle, and leave the car at Gare du Nord.

As you are passing CDG anyway it´s a personal choice but driving into Paris, with a specific destination in mind, is really not that difficult.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM

Good info. I am arriving at CDG on Tuesday and have a question. I will also be staying near Hotel De Ville and want to take the RER. My streetwise map says the RER B stops at Chatelet (one stop after Chatelet/Les Halles). Is this true? If so, it looks like not such a big metro station and not such a long walk as Chatelet/Les Halles would be. The online metro router is saying another option is to take RER B to St. Michel/Notre Dame stop and walk 9 minutes to Hotel Deville. I'm thinking the St. Michel metro is not as big as Chatelet/Les Halles and easier to get out of (not such a long walk). Any advice? THANKS !!
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 05:44 AM

On our first trip to Paris last year, we simply took RER B to Chatelet/Les Halles and then took the Metro 1 for one stop and got off at Hotel de Ville stop. It wasn't all that difficult. I can't imagine why you would go to St. Michel - if you were going to walk, simply walk from Chatelet stop. Just my 2 centimes, of course.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:00 AM

willndtw, my understanding is that for the RER, Chatelet and Les Halles are one combined stop, though Paris experts may correct me. I haven't gotten off there, so I can't compare it to St Michel (which is quite manageable), but if you waited until St Michel you'd have to get above ground, cross the river, cross Ile de la Cite, cross the river again and then get to your hotel from Hotel de Ville. Seems like more trouble than either walking from Chatelet or taking the metro a stop.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM

As suggested above, the interconnected Chatelet-Les Halles Metro stations form a maze of corridors and staircases, always clogged with commuters. Wikipedia calls it one of the world's biggest subway interchanges, served by five Metro lines and the RER. To change from RER to the Hotel de Ville line you will walk half-way to that stop anyhow, so it is probably as quick to find your way to the surface and take to the streets The surrounding sidewalks are crowded too but more pleasant than navigating that vast hole in the ground. Print out a map of the area from ViaMichelin or Google to help find your hotel. ViaMichelin's map has charming pop-up drawings of prominent buildings to serve as landmarks http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Carte...k0ek5EZ3pORE09
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone. My concern was what Southam was talking about....walking through a maze of corridors and up and down a myriad of staircases to get to Line 1 which is why I thought the St. Michel stop made sense. My hotel is on Rue du Temple, so it almost looks like an equidistant walk from St. Michel or Chatelet/Les Halles (but correct me if I'm wrong!) So, looks like I'll probably make my way up to the street from Chatelet/Les Halles and enjoy the sights and sounds of Paris. Forecast says rain all week next week, so hope mother nature cooperates a little! If not, I'm in Paris...so who cares?
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Just got back from Paris and thought I'd let everyone know how the transport part went. First off, the RER from the airport is so easy...the only thing that sucked was to wait in line to buy a ticket because my American credit card wouldn't work in the machines. After that...smooth sailing. The way to do it was get out at Chatelet/Les Halles and walk the 10-12 minutes to my hotel on Rue De Temple near Hotel De Ville. Straight shot by the Pompidou Center. Very easy to find. Thanks again everyone!!
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Willndtw, thank you for this update. We are contemplating taking RER B to Chat/LH too but can you tell me how it was managing luggage? Turnstiles at Chat/LH? Stairs? DH and I will each have one largish suitcase.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:15 PM

Hello Mary Steve. For the RER B train part, I think it may depend on the time of day you will be arriving. Since I was there around noon, the trains were not very busy, so plenty of room for luggage, etc. If you are leaving out of the Chat/LH station and not transferring anywhere else, I think you would be okay with the luggage as it's not very far to get to the street level. A bit confusing, but I finally figured my way out by following signs for Pompidou Center exit. Enjoy!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM

>>>A bit confusing, but I finally figured my way out by following signs for Pompidou Center exit. Enjoy!<<<

Have an iPhone or iPad touch? Get the free Paris-ci app and it will show you which exit to use depending on where you need to go
and even which carriage will be the best to be on.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Willndtw, thank you that sounds doable.

ParisAmsterdam, dh has iphone so what is the ci app? Sounds very useful. Thank you!