CDG to Hotel in the Marais

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take the RER from Charles de Gaulle to our hotel in the Marais. From the RER-Metro map, I see that the blue line doesn't go to the Marais. Can anyone tell me where is the nearest RER station? Thank you.
Ginny
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:16 PM

You will have to get off the RER and transfer to the Metro at Chatelet les Halles.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM

My sister stays in the Marais once a year and she takes the bus to L'Opera and then gets a taxi. Be sure to get the taxi at the stand where the line has formed. They only stop there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info.
Ginny
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 02:51 PM

Ginny, depending on exactly where your hotel is located in the Marais, you may choose to switch over to the Metro at Gare du Nord. (You can check out the Metro map to see how that works for you. Things are all very well marked in the station.)
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM

Depending on where your hotel is located, you could get off at Chatelet and walk to where you are staying. We have stayed on Rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie and Rue Braque off of Rambuteau and always just walked due east past the Pompidou and onto Rambuteau or Rue Ste Croix de la Bretonnerie. It only takes about 10, 15 minutes.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM

As already stated, check a metro map to see what Metro stop is closet to your hotel. We stayed near Place St. Catherine, so we took the RER to Chatelet and switched to the #1 metro and took that to the St. Paul stop. It wasn't difficult (there were 4 of with 2 roller suitcases and 2 small carry bags) and things are well marked. If you would like specific directions, post the addreass of the hotel.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I will be staying at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc on rue de Jarente. What's the best way to get there? Thank you for your help.
Ginny
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
jenifer

According to www.ratp.fr the Metro stop St. Paul is closest to that street (2-3 short blocks away).

http://www.citefutee.com/orienter/plans.php#

shows that the quickest train route is to take RER-B to Chatelet station then transfer to the #1 Metro line toward Chateau de Vincennes. St. Paul would be the second stop after transfer.

Having never taken a shuttle or taxi, though, I can't say which is the "best" route. First thing to consider is how much luggage you will have. If it's more than one suitcase + 1 carry-on per person, don't try the train.

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:12 PM

I stayed at the Jean D'Arc this past May, and did exactly what Jennifer's instructions say.

With a 22" rolling bag and tote, not travelling during rush hours, it worked just fine.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Lesli: I will only have a rolling bag and tote. Did you like the hotel Jeanne d'Arc? When in Paris, I usually stay in the 5th or 6th. I want to discover the Marais on this trip. I hope I'm not disappointed. Thank you for your help.
Ginny
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM

Ginny -

I loved the location of the Jean D'Arc; like you, I've generally stayed in the 5th or 6th and it was fun to "live" in a different neighborhood.

Rates are certainly cheap, so one doesn't expect great decor, but I did think my room was looking in need of some freshening up. (Spills on the carpet, marks on wallpaper and little things of that nature.)

Housekeeping was very good though, and staff friendly and helpful enough.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM

Another way to go would be to take the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon, then take a taxi from there. Would probably cost 11e for the bus and about 5e for the cab.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:08 PM

Ginny...

For a map of the neighborhood, go to

http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/Pla_q/f_pla.htm

then to street maps and scroll down to St Paul. You'll see the stops for the 69 bus, which passes many points of interest on the way to the Eiffel Tower. To see the route, go back to network maps. The Paris bus system can be pretty intimidating, but this is one line that is easy to try.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:17 PM

The directions given by jenifer are right on. We stayed around the corner from the Jeanne d'Arc and the neighborhood is very nice. We walked at night, always felt safe (but of course use common sense) and there are several reasonably priced restaurant in the area. Also as you probably know, there are some wonderful museums, cafes and boutiques nearby. Enjoy the Marais and be sure to post a report when you come back.