CDG to Blois

May 9th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

CDG to Blois

I will be traveling to Paris and the Loire valley with my 13 yo daughter and mother-in-law on August 12. I am planning to take the train to Blois the morning we get in (we arrive at 6:15am). Should I make train reservations ahead of time? How much time should I allow to get through customs, baggage claim and getting to Gare du Austerlitz? I have seen from other postings that there is a shuttle that takes you from the airport to train station, how long does that take? Where do I find that shuttle? Once I get to Blois I plan to rent a car and use Blois as a base while we travel around the Loire Valley. Does anyone know how far the car rental place is from the train station in Blois? Do they have taxis readily available to take you there? Thanks for any advice you might have.
May 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM

I would allow two hours from your landing time to the time you will be standing on the curb waiting for the shuttle. Sounds a bit extreme, I know, but planes land at CDG and then can taxi for a half-hour or more before you can deplane. Then it can be an hour or so to get through immigration and get your luggage.

There is no shuttle to the Gare d' Austerlitz. You can catch the Air France shuttle at Porte 34 in aérogare 1 for the Gare de Lyon and take a taxi from there for about 10 euro.

There is no single "car rental place" in Blois. You need to rent your car in advance and find out from the rental agency where to pick up the car. I always use AutoEurope, which is a broker, so they might have more than one affiliate location in Blois. Whatever you do, don't just plan to go to Blois and then rent a car!
May 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
May 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM

The specific Air France bus mentioned by StCirq is #4. It departs from Terminal 2 as well as Terminal 1. It's a highway coach so your bags go in the luggage bay. The cost is 14 EUR. Taking that bus to Gare de Lyon and a taxi from there to Gare d'Austerlitz will be the easiest if you have a lot of luggage.

If you're traveling light and don't mind schleppng your own luggage, you can take the RER B to St-Michel Notre-Dame and the RER C from there to Gare d'Austerlitz. The cost is 8.10 EUR. Go to www.ratp.fr to download and print a Metro/RER map for central Paris and a RER map that shows service to outlying zones, including CDG.

You don't need to make a reservation for the train to Blois. If you don't make it to Gare d'Austerlitz in time to catch the 09:21 train, then take the one that leaves at 10:23.

Like StCirq, I also recommend AutoEurope. Book from home well in advance at www.autoeurope.com to get the best rate. Or call the toll-free number and ask if there are any special deals that aren't shown on the Web site.

May 10th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

ARGH! I am getting frustrated, I thought I had this all planned out. Come to find out, most car rental places in the areas I want to go are closed on Sunday. I didn't think that was a huge issue because we could just hand around Blois and rent a car the next day, but the day I want to return the car Wed Aug 15, the agencies are closed. Is that a holiday in France? I thought I would switch my dates around and go to Paris first, but getting the car dropped off and getting back to Paris in time to catch my flight seem to pose a problem with the times of the car rental agency. Then I thought I would switch cities and go to Tours instead of Blois, but I can't pull up any train schedules, they don't book that far in advance and when I go to earlier dates to see what the times are, they say there is no availability due to being sold out. Makes me leary of not making reservations, plus I have anxiety about not getting to the airport on time!
May 10th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Yes, 15 August is a legal holiday. It's Assumption Day.

Rental agencies often have a box in which you can leave car keys, etc. after hours if you return a car when the office is closed. I suggest you check a little more closely to see if that would work for you. Or call Auto Europe and ask.
May 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful information. I just changed my dates. It gives us more time in the Loire valley. I have rented the car and have arranged alot with all the suggestions I have received. It really helps decrease anxiety, knowing where things are. Anybody have any information on the Day of Assumption holiday? Are there any ceremonies that go along with it, or is it a solemn religious day? Thanks again!