Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever taken a boat trip from Venice to western Croatia?

May 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

I am in the middle of planning a 4 week trip to Italy bring along my elderly mother and thought perhaps a short sidetrip from Venice to Croatia might be worth doing but have absolutely no knowledge of Croatia other than people saying it is beautiful. Would appreciate any info or feedback on that from a more experienced traveller to that region. Thanks for any and all help you can give. It is truly appreciated!
May 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Yes. We used www.elegantcruises.com and enjoyed our trip very much. The crew, including the chef, was totally Croatian.
May 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM

We also did the trip from Elegant Cruises on The Monet. 7 days Venice to Venice. Very nice. How mobile is your mother? (For shore excursions.)
May 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Dear SuQue
thanks so much for the tip - the website for elegant cruises looks great- just have to look now at exactly how much time we'll have to spend sandwiched in between all of our other must do's - 4 weeks sounds like a good bit of time until you start thinking of 'smelling the roses' so to speak and not trying to run an endurance race all over Italy. Perhaps a short cruise in the middle would be just the answer. Thanks again
May 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM

This may not be helpful, but I took a regular old transit boat from Venice to Croatia in the 70s. Twice. Before the war. Croatia is, in my memory, one of the most beautiful places on earth. So are the people. I look forward to returning soon.

Short answer: DO IT!