Getting from CDG airport into Paris

Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from CDG airport into Paris

Our trip to Paris is less than 2 weeks away and I am starting to plan some of the finer details. I need some help with the best way to get from CDG aiport to the Voltaire or Breguet Sabin Metro stops. We'll be arriving around 8 AM so I don't think taking a taxi would be a smart move due to traffic. RER Train? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:49 PM

RER is a good option. Thereis also a so called "Air France bus" that many have used - I'm sure other posters will comment on - one word of caution, however, the metro stations involve going through turnstyles and walking up/down lots of stairs, so if you are carrying heavy bags this is not recommended. May want to get off at Gare du Nord and take a cab from there.

Also, hopefully other commenters will note that in the AM there are "local" commuter RER trains and an "express" CDG to Paris train. You'll want he latter, as the former fills up with comuters very fast. and is uncomfortable.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM

If your flight arrives around 8, by the time you deplane, pass through immigration, collect your luggage, and pass customs you will be ready to depart CDG after early morning rush hour. Taxis have special lanes along A1 into the city allowing them to bypass any remaining traffic. If you have never taken the RER previously, you might want to strongly consider a taxi, about 50€.

The closest bus to your destination would be the Air France Bus to Gare de Lyon from where you could almost walk depending upon how mobile you are with your luggage. There is always a taxi from here about 5€ to 10€ or the métro at 1.80€.

The RER will take you to the métro stops you mention. Take the RER to Gare du Nord, transfer (look for the signs correspondance) to M5 direction Place d´Italie, exit Bréguet Sabin. Cost is 8.70€
Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM

I neglected to mention that the AF Bus to Gare du Lyon is #4 and will cost 16.50€. Pick it up curbside at any terminal, buy tickets from the driver.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM

I just used the Air France bus and had a good experience. It happened to be waiting outside the terminal (#2 at CDG) when I emerged - so no waiting. I know I was lucky although I think they run fairly frequently. They stow your large bags underneath. Then you pay the driver - so you need to get a few euros before leaving the terminal. I took it to the Montparnasse terminal, and then grabbed a cab to my hotel. Total for cab and the bus was about 30E. If there are two of you, a cab from the airport may be more cost effective.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM

Take the train...we sat in tons of traffic on arrival last December (around 11am) in a cab. Weekend arrival probably wouldn't be bad, it hasn't been bad for us in the past.

If you take a cab, get one outside the terminal. Don't go with someone who approaches you and offers a taxi.

If you decide on the train, make sure your luggage is manageable for stairs.

There are many posts on this topic so search the forum for them (instructions on the train, how to pay, etc...)
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:02 PM

I went the cheap route with the Roissybus. We arrived at CDG around 7:30 am and didn't get to our hotel until almost noon. It was then I realized it was worth paying more money for easier/quicker transportation. Our hotel offered a shuttle van. At the moment of check in, it didn't seem expensive at all. We were exhausted and had wasted a lot of time.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM

Hi,

If your hotel has car service, use it. I recently went to Naples. It was around an 18 hour trip door-to-door. I was so happy to see my name on a sign and get right into a waiting car. Just decide that it is a worthwhile expense. You can take cheaper transportation when you depart.

Yipper
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM

I agree with the private car after an overnight trip if it's within your budget. Our apartment management provided one and although costly the driver had a commercial parking spot near the exit of the airport so we didn't have to walk far and a special commercial lane so we sped past the long long line of traffic. Best of all he carried our large bags up the three flights of stairs!
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM

Doing just the opposite - Notre Dame vicinity to CDG on a Monday morning to catch a 10am Air France flight to LHR. Workable suggestion?
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM

Hi, FREDMACSEL,

There's a "Saint Michel - Notre Dame" station for the RER B train, which is the train you want to get to CDG. Don't know how far this is from where you are staying, but it would probably be the closest station for you.

http://parisbytrain.com/rer-train-line-maps/

Click "RER B Train Line Map" to see the stations where the RER B train stops.

Once inside the train station and on the platform, pay attention when the train arrives. There are two "B" trains - one goes to Aulnay Sous Bois and the other goes to CDG. You want the one going to CDG.

Air France usually leaves from Terminal 2, so you want to get off the RER B train at the end of the line. But check to make sure which terminal you will be leaving from.

If your flight leaves from Terminal 1 or 3, you need to get off at the penultimate station.

CDG Terminal 2 is huge and is actually several terminals: 2A, 2B...2G. I'd factor in 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get you to your departure gate from your house. More time if you have to check in baggage.

If it were me, I'd leave the house at 6am. If you want to have stress and heart palpitations, leave at 7am.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:44 PM

It's a longish hike from the Gare de Lyon to the Voltaire/Breguet-Sabin area.

Likewise, easytraveler's advice takes you well out of your way - Sarastro's is right, in terms of RER/Metro.

You can check both of these options on the interactive map on the official RATP webesite:
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM

Another thought: if the thought of the metro with luggage puts you off, you can get bus 46 from the Gare du Nord, which more or less follows the metro line (though getting to the stop for it involves going upstairs and past the Transilien platforms to the side entrance, which may be no less hassle). Or you could try a taxi from the Gare du Nord.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 12:01 AM

FREDMADCEL's other post about same topic: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...e-vicinity.cfm
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 12:41 AM

Before I'd pay 33 Euro then cab fare taking the bus, I'd hire a car service, Shuttle Inter , private car, door to door for 55 Euro.They wait for you right outside of customs , carry your bags and drop you at the door. No meter ticking away

Before I'd pay 33 Euro then cab fare taking the bus, I'd hire a car service, Shuttle Inter , private car, door to door for 55 Euro.They wait for you right outside of customs , carry your bags and drop you at the door. No meter ticking away

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -