Search

Catacombs of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:39 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catacombs of Paris

I recently saw a show on TV about the catacombs of Paris. Has anyone visited, and is it worth it? I will be there in January and so I am seeking as many indoor activities as I can find, in addition to museums and chocolate shops. Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 08:47 AM

The Parisian catacombs, by the Denfert-Rochereau metro stop - i've been there a few times and i liked them. They are a bit claustrophic at narrow points. Whether it's worth it to you or not is hard to say, but with the tour guide spiel of their medieval origins i enjoyed it very much.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:04 AM

We didn't have time to see the catacombs our last trip to Paris, so I know we definitely want to make time on our next trip.

When I did some research on the catacombs - I didn't see anything about a guide. I guess I somehow assumed it was a self guided tour along an indicated path.

I think I would enjoy a guide more than just wandering around myself - is the guide part of the admission, and does the "tour" leave at specific times?
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:27 AM

It seems that I read or heard that they are closed in the winter. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:33 AM

There's a website:
http://triggur.org/cata/index.html

A virtual underground tour. Rather creepy.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM

I have been there and found them of minor interest, but I have a particular interest in urban planning and Paris history. I don't think most people who go there have a good reason to go nor are interested in the subject -- most view it as a Disneyland experience that they think will appeal to adolescents and comment on how it is "creepy" or "spooky". They have no respect for the dead.

I wouldn't go there in winter unless Paris urban renewal is of particular interest to you, if it is even open, as it is rather dank and dark and water dripping.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:35 AM

Well it was several years ago when i did the catacombs and a guide was required then, as was often the case at any national monument, chateau, etc. But they have been doing away with these lately so it may be self-directed now. Actually the guide was kind of a pain in some ways, and though included in the entry fee, they ubiquitously have their hand stretched out at the exit for their tip - you know when the tour is about to end when the guide stations themselves by the exit, hand extended! The catacombs i believe were hewn out for limestone extraction and then, during the anti-God French Revolution used as an ossuary to empty Parisian cemeteries cause the land they took up was too valuable to be graveyards for folks who died eons ago. The one-mile trail open to tourists at places is lined by bones and skulls several feet high and fill vaults dozens of feet deep. the front of the vault has a facade sculpted out of cross bones and skulls with a date the bones were interred and whence they came. The trek takes you over 50 feet underground via a spiral staircase. Closed on Mon.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks to all for such a quick response, and a special thanks for the web page. I will be travelling with my Dad and stepmom, and I think they will get a kick out of this. I will e-mail them the link to the web page and ask what they think.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:47 AM

Here's another underground alternative:

On a November trip a few years ago we were caught in a drenching one afternoon, so we ducked into the Egouts (sewer) museum. It was free with our Carte Musee, I believe.

We were reading Les Miserable at the time, so we found it interesting. It wasn't damp or smelly in the areas of the tour, but bright, clean and well-planned. We enjoyed it. I wouldn't skip, say, the Musee Marmottan in favor of the sewer tour, but it was fun.

More underground delights: The Crypt D'Archeologie (I think this is the name) at Notre Dame. You enter through a separate entyway near the church. This one was also free with the Carte Musee.

I had a childhood fantasy of becoming an archeologist, so I loved this. You get to see the ancient ruins beneath the church and learn about how the city was laid out back then.

The site is small and doesn't take long to visit. I don't know if everyone would think it worthwhile to pay to get in, but I thought it was worthwhile on the Carte Musee.

Have a great trip!

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 09:56 AM

I found the catacombs extremely fascinating. I would also describe it as creepy but I mean no disrespect to the dead.

Bit of advice though, bring a small flashlight. Some areas were really dark and the flashlight was also useful for seeing details. Sounds morbid I know but the arrangements of some of the bones are incredibly elaborate.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM

I realize that the skeletons were moved to the catacombs as part of an "urban renewal" project, but I fail to understand why visiting them has much to do with fulfilling an interest in urban renewal. What would you see when visiting them which in any way "educates" you about urban renewal architecture? Yes, they are sort of creepy and fascinating -- I'll make no excuses about enjoying the experience. But I was unaware of any organized tour.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:46 AM

I visited both the catacombs and the sewer museum in January of this year. I found both enjoyable and a very nice change of pace from art museums. The sewer museum was free with the Carte Musee and the catacombs had a small entrance fee. We didn't use a guide for either, although I imagine they have tours.
I agree with bringing a flashlight to the Catacombs. It's really essential in order to get a good look at everything. The walkways are really tiny (claustrophobic at times) and everything was quite damp. At the exit they ask to see inside your bag to make sure you didn't steal any bones!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Both are fun to do on the same day ( a rainy one)....sort of an underground Paris experience. Go for it....
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I will add to the list of things to bring in addition to the flashlight: wear old sneakers, dress warmly and in clothes you don't mind having what my kids refer to as "bone juice" dripping periodically on you.

For at least the past 7 years, there has been no guided tour. You might want to bring a small French/English dictionary to read the signs.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:07 AM

I think the catacombs are temporarily closed due to construction for bus lane improvements along ave. du General Leclerc. Here is a site with a phone # so you could call to confirm first:
http://www.paris.fr/EN/ASP/SITES/SITE.ASP?SITE=02027

If not, then you could visit Cimitière Montparnasse, which is fairly interesting. You may be able to get a map at the main entrance, or copy one from Eyewitness: Paris or "Permanent Parisians".
http://www.paris.fr/EN/ASP/SITES/SITE.ASP?SITE=12002