Catacombs in Paris

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:21 PM
David K.

Catacombs in Paris

Does anyone have info. about catacombs/sewers in Paris? Thanks.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Dallas

ttt

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:34 AM
xxx

Have you done a search? Type in "Catacombs" and click on France and see what you find. If you still have questions, come back here and ask.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Mary

Hi David, You climb down a winding staircase to the damp, slimy floored catacomb. After the initial shock of a the bones stacked artiscally to resemble a Greatful Dead album cover, its pretty redundant. And you can't get out without walking the entire section open to tourists. I think it took about 100 years of different city workers to set up the walls which are composed of dug up remains from cemetaries all over Paris. Gruesome and after 5 minutes, boring.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:28 AM
MaryC

Sure, dude, here's some info for you although it may not be the info you want but these are some notes from when I visited les Catacombs this past April.

Incidentally, THE VERY 1ST THING I did (well, after dropping off bags at the hotel) was to go directly to les Catacombs as I'd missed it last trip.

Here goes:
1 km 70 - distance from entrance to exit
83 steps - total # steps you climb upon exiting (yeah, I actually COUNTED them)
#36 R. Remy Dumoncel - exit address
14th arrondissement - where Catacombs are located
5 Euros - entrance fee (well, April 2002 fee, anyway)
above R. Halle - that's a random note - perhaps in reference to a street that crosses just below the exit to indicate whereabouts. hmmmm

Anyway, hope that helps.

I did enjoy trudging/treading through the Catacombs. But having done it, I feel I need never go back. It's just one of those things I feel like I had to do once. (yes, it is a little boring - perhaps if I had a better grasp of the French language and could read the signs scattered throughout I might've enjoyed it better)

Have fun!!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Jennifer

Hi,

I was there in April. I wouldn't call it a "must do" but I was glad I went. Is there any specific information you are seeking?

Jennifer

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:24 PM
DavidK.

Thanks for info. I just heard about the catacombs and thought they might be interesting. It sounds like if one has seen Paris' main sights, then the catacombs might be a place to go. I'll probably pass this time because I'm not that familiar with Paris and do want to visit the more known places.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:39 AM
elaine

For information on the history and tours, see such websites as
www.infiltration.org/catacomb.htm
www.all-paris-hotels.com/catacombs.htm
www.paris.org/Musees/Catacombes/info.html
www.campus.ecp.fr/~slyv