Search

"Casual" Salzburg Concert

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Casual" Salzburg Concert

Hi,

We will be in Salzburg this June and are interested in attending some sort of musical event\concert\performance. We are not big classical music lovers, but would still like to attend at least one musical event in Salzburg. However, we are trying to pack light (which means no dress shoes, no formal attire).

Any recommendations on places in Salzburg that will let us in with jeans and sneakers ? I know some of the local bars might have some events going on - but we were trying to find something other than a bar.

Is something like a "casual" concert\performance even possible in Salzburg ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Sorry, can't help you with concerts in Salzburg. Though you might check the churches.

However, you might rethink those jeans. Jeans are heavy, bulky, and slow to dry in European clothes dryers. Try to find some lightweight pants, which would also pass as dressier.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimar - any tips on where I can find information on Churches, etc ?

And good tip about jeans - I didnt consider the washing\drying aspect of this. Thanks !
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Most concerts, even nice ones, aren't real particular these days about attire. I was in the Vienna opera a few weeks ago in khakis, brown sneakers, and a button-down shirt (no jacket) and was pretty much in the middle, dress-wise, maybe a tad on the casual side, but there were a substantial number of people in jeans & t-shirts. I doubt it'd be any different in Salzburg. Of course, I don't know how much not classical music lovers you are, so I don't know if you'd really enjoy a proper concert (but for the sake of the music, please avoid the street vendors of the music with the costumed performers, they're pretty much the rejects of real symphonies, though the average person wouldn't realize it unless they heard them side by side with a good organization).
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Lets put it this way - about an hour ot an hour and half's worth of good music (on PBS - an American tv channel) is the extent of how long we can last before switching channels.

Being in the land of Mozart and wanting to get some cultural exposure - are the reasons for us looking for a musical show\concert\etc.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Nope, don't think the church music schedules are online. Wait until you are in Salzburg and see what's going on -- at the TI, maybe?