Cash-only Hotels -- Huge Inconvenience!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering staying at a hotel in Paris that does not accept credit cards, but only accepts cash or traveler's checks in Euros. I really find it inconvenient when hotels don't accept credit cards, because according to a recent thread, getting traveler's checks in Euros is difficult and expensive. What is the point of this cash-only policy, anyway?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM

On 12/02/2004 you said you were leaving in two weeks to go to Paris as a first timer? Now you're going again?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

Are you serious? Taxes, of course. And the 4% that the cedit card company charges. Most nonChain hotels in Italy, at least, will give you a discount for cash if you ask. I almost always do.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Well yes, as a matter of fact, I am planning to go again. I REALLY liked Paris. Considering that most of you seem to be frequent travelers, I'm surprised that any of you would find this unusual. And yes, the question was serious.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:24 AM

Only really budget hotels do this, and that's part of why they save money. It costs a hotel to take credit cards, and most hotels 2* or higher take them and consider that part of doing business. Really cheap hotels will not as it does cost them 3-5 pct of the bill, I think (or they will charge you a 5 pct surcharge or something).

So, you could stay in a more expensive hotel; you must be in some really cheap place, as that is unusual even in 2* hotels in Paris, in my experience.

Getting travelers checks in euro is not at all difficult. It will cost you, of course, generally in a bad exchange rate at AAA--perhaps fees if you don't have some bank account or AAA that gives them free.

Exactly how long are you staying in Europe that you don't think you can get cash out of an ATM to pay the bill? That's the part I don't understand as this must be a cheap hotel.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM

I stay at "cash only" hotels in Venice and Florence. I know where the closest ATM is and I make sure I pull enough cash out to cover my hotel bill. I understand that small hotel owners need to make money wherever they can.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

You also posted that you are going to Rome in September. You sure travel a lot.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina. This hotel is definitely not an expensive one. As jeffwill4you eagerly pointed out, I was there in December and so I really can't afford a more expensive place for my trip in March. I haven't made a reservation yet, so I will keep looking. I could take the money from an ATM, I was just wondering about this policy because I haven't been traveling all that many years and hadn't run into this before. Sorry about the unsophisticated question.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
P_M

I have stayed in cash-only hotels and usually got more for my money. I have also stayed in hotels where they do take credit cards, but a cash discount is offered, so of course, I would pay cash. As Christina said, it's at all not hard to find TC's in €'s, but most of us don't do it because it's so much more practical to use the ATM once you get there.

There is nothing wrong with asking this question. That's why we have this forum.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

jeffwill4you, you are cracking me up! Where did I post that I was going to Rome in September? I assure you that I never plan trips that far in advance! Thanks to everyone else for the serious replies.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 09:51 AM

I was only messing with you lol, sorry
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:04 AM

I stay in cash only places often because, as pointed out, they are cheaper. They're quite common in Europe actually. It's never been a problem to just go to the ATM and withdraw the funds. I have a $700/day limit on my ATM so I just do it the morning or the evening before I'm about to check out. Of course, you have to call your bank first to find out what your limit is.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:20 AM

I always make arrangements with my bank to increase the daily withdrawal rate from our ATM while we're gone. That generally covers places that accept cash only.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cash-only is not unusual for smaller and/or budget hotels or restaurants in many places in the world.

You don't have to take TC's in Euro, you can take TC's in US dollar and go to a bank and cash them. Not the most economical way to exchange money, but gets the job done.

Another way is thru an ATM card, especially if the hotel will allow you to pay cash each day, or possibly raise your bank limit to be able to withdraw larger amounts at one time.

The point of the cash-only policy is because it is more effective for the hotel. It costs businesses money to accept credit cards, you know?

If you judge that the fees or hassles are too much, simply book a larger or more expensive hotel that does accept credit cards.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM

Another reason I read about is that hotels avoid the whole problem of credit card disputes if they don't take them in the first place. Suppose someone provides a credit card and later disputes the charge - that's a labor-intensive situation for the hotel.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:24 AM

Come on, we all know the real reason a hotel wants to be paid in cash is to avoid paying taxes.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM

I've always paid cash - as noted, many places will give you a discount for paying cash. Why pay full price?