Cash Machines in Romania

Search

Cash Machines in Romania

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash Machines in Romania

Will be in Romania in April. Anyone have any comments on availability and ease of use (or not) of cash machines?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM

They're all over Bucharest and work no differently from cash machines anywhere else: it's the 21st century in Romania too.

If you run out of petrol in a one-horse village where the horse upped sticks for a job in Italy a couple of years ago, you might find there's no cash machine. But the petrol station will take your credit or debit card.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM

afa:
I have found ATM's in nearly all medium to large sized cities and towns in Romania. In fact, in the pre-rev days during Ceaucescu's regime, I dealt with Romanian banks and never had a problem changing USD.

and flanner..once again I ask, what was your problem with Birlad. As a matter of deep personal interest I would like to know. I've asked you three times on three different threads...I respect your knowledge and worldliness and I would sincerely appreciate your take. Thank you.

stu tower
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM

P.S. flanner...email me if you would rather

[email protected]

stu tower
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM

ATMs are everywhere, there are two or three at the airport and it seems on every street corner. Spent two weeks in Birlad and found many ATMs there as well as Brasov, Iasi, and Sinaia.

Birlad is a city of about 81,000, but is one of the poorest areas in Romania. We worked in Tutova (20 minutes south) and found the people in both places quite charming. They are still recovering from Ceaucescu's criminal reign, but are happy and quite warm when you get to know them.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Thank you G Potvin. I have spent a good bit of time in many regions of Romania since the late 70's..Birlad is important to me as I featured in one of my books..and naturally, I've made several visits to the city...What type of work were you doing In Tutova, if I may ask? On my most recent visit to Birlad (2005)I had a group of 16 of my readership along and we were hosted famously by the President of the terminally shrinking Jewish commnity, now down to 22 people. At the turn of the 20th century there were approx. 4000. The one remaining sinagoga has been restored beautifully.

Again, thank you for chiming in here, Potvin..
Stuart Tower
Los Angeles
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 05:47 AM

We were working in a "failure to thrive" clinic with Global Volunteers, a Minnesota NGO that has programming in 17 countries worldwide, including three programs in the US. We have also been to Ecuador with GV and are planning another trip this fall. We basically supplemented the work that the aides (feeding, holding, playing etc.) were doing with the children, many of whom have some type of medical issue/disability.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM

My American-born niece in Israel adopted one of the children, but I don't recall which institution..that was 12 years ago and he is doing very well, bright, cute and a pleasure to be around. It might have been Tutova...you guys are doing remarkable work..bless you.

Stu