Cascais, Nazare or Estoril for Two Weeks

Feb 18th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Mic
Original Poster

Cascais, Nazare or Estoril for Two Weeks

Does anyone have any preferences of these three towns? My husband and I plan to spend two weeks in Portugal this summer and a travel agent has suggested these places. While we will take daytrips to the surrounding areas, we wish to stay in one place for a number of reasons. Any thoughts? Which is the best combination of nice beaches and a charming town? Thanks!
Feb 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Of all three "towns," Nazare has the biggest, nicest beach. It is along the lines of your typical New Jersey Shore or Florida beach. Cascais and Estoril have "European-style" beaches, small with little or no waves/tide pull. I think this is because Estoril and Cascais are at the mouth of the Tejo River, whilst Nazare is on the Atlantic. Estoril has the worst beach. However, it can be quite windy, chilly in Nazare. I have been there when it has been 90F in Lisbon, yet only 70F in Nazare, even though it is not that far away (it is much farther from Lisbon than Estoril or Cascais). I would never stay in Estoril. I would probably stay in Cascais because you can easily take the train into Lisbon, or drive to Sintra. Cascais has a lot of jewelry shops, chic clothing stores, cafes.

You don't mention if you have a car?

There is not much to do in Nazare except lie on the beach, eat, walk around. Many Lisboans go there on the weekends to get away from the city. You would have to explore (drive) other towns in the area--Obidos, Bathala, Fatima, Alcobaca. Two week just in Nazare would probably be very boring.
Feb 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Get a new travel agent and change your travel style. How boring for 2 weeks in one of these locations.

Search this Thread