Carte orange v Navigo

Apr 1st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Carte orange v Navigo

Just when I thought I understood the Carte Orange I see on Fodor's that the Navigo has come along. I will be arriving CDG on a Tues am with a friend new to Paris, and planned at CDG to buy RER tickets for both of us to Luxemburg, have her get a carte orange, and get a one week paper ticket for each of us for zones 1 & 2 for frequent bus & metro rides through the following Sunday. Can we still do this? I already have a Carte Orange; will they issue one for her at CDG or will she have to get a Navigo for 5 E? Will they sell me the paper ticket or do I have to get a navigo also? Someone in one of the threads mentioned having to "apply" for the Navigo, is that true and what does it mean? Is that just for the resident Navigo as distinct from the Navigo available for visitors? Travelnut I know you will know all this, and probably others also-thanks in advance for help.
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:02 AM

I haven't been in Paris since February. At that time you still could get a paper version of the Carte Orange at CDG.

I wouldn't plan on that being the case for your trip. Both of you should take the approximately 1"x1" head shot photos.

If you plan on returning to Paris in the future I would consider buying the Navigo Decouverte even if they still would sell you the paper CO. It is much more convenient and it would certainly be the way things will be on your next trip.

As for the process, it really isn't that different than the first time you get a Carte Orange.
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM

Hi janeos!

Okay, so here's what I understand about the Navigo thing. The ratp.fr site tells you about it, but not on the English version (of course!). The one for visitors is the Navigo Découverte card and it seems to me like you get the little chip Navigo card plus another paper card where you attach your photo, like with the Carte Orange.

Basically they are phasing out the paper cards and replacing them with Navigos--however, most major stations still sell the carte orange.

I live in Paris and adore my Navigo because it's just easier to use and really fast--which counts when I'm running to work or class. Obviously that Parisian impatience has rubbed off!

I still see lots of people using CO's though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure that you don't try to use them in the Navigo only turnstiles

Have a FABULOUS time!
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Another question though; with the Navigo, do you load it with money (like New York's metrocard) and it just deducts as you go, or are you still purchasing a one-week pass good Monday through Sunday like the weekly coupon used in the past? If you are passing the Navigo over a special turnstile, how does it know how many zones you are travelling? The Navigo is both an ID AND an electronically loaded fare card, is that right?
And you're right, it seemed however I looked at the RATP site I was back to the Touriste Visite! janeos
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM

Unfortunately you have to load it with a week or a month or a year, just like thr old CO..nothing like the London Oyster or the NYC pay as you go
Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM

About half of the metro stations in Paris have already stopped selling the Carte Orange.

The Navigo Découverte still works like a Carte Orange -- a weekly pass starts on Monday and finishes on Sunday. I'm sure this will change sooner or later, but not yet.
Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM

Just a long shot -- but, does anyone know if the one-week paper ticket for the CO is still sold at Gare St Lazare?

Merci!
Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM

Week before last, I zipped into the Mabillon station in the 6th to get a new Carte Orange coupon and was told that I had to go to the Odeon station to get it. If I had had the time, that day, I probably would have tried figuring out the new system and converted over. Happy Travels!
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Can you buy a Carte Orange (or Navigo equivilant) at the CDG station?
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:42 AM

I've bought my C.O. in the past at the CDG RER station, so I imagine you can still do so, at least in the new Navigo format if not the old paper ticket.
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Canada V,
Of course.