Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Carry-on problems on international flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been made to check a carry-on size wheeled bag on flights other than in and out of the UK? I know all the restrictions and I'll deal with having to check gels and liquids. But, I would still prefer to have all my clothes and other stuff stay with me. My track record is lousy for checked bags - 4 times delayed for more than 3 days and once lost never to be seen again. I can deal with losing some face cream, suntan lotion and toothpaste. Just wondering if anyone has had to check it all.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:49 AM

I am wondering the same thing right now. Do I check my luggage just for some HABA items or I carry on and buy all of them including makeup when I get there. My flight is nonstop so it is less liely I suppose for them to lose it in transit.

I dont wear that much makeup so I am really considering this. Please clarify someone. Can we carry-on mascara, lip or eye pencils, or pressed power/blush?

thanks
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:56 AM

On Monday from Paris to the US people did carry on small suitcases, but I did see a tube of mascara confiscated.

Of course, this could all change in a blink of a (mascaraless) eye.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM

kwren

that is so true.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Purchasing a small bag to be checked with my cosmetics and then carrying on all my other stuff. It sounds petty in light of everything else but I hate to check baggage!!!!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Given that a woman got onto a United flight from Heathrow (to the US) with matches, vaseline, a screwdriver, and a note referencing Al Queda, I'm astonished that mascara was confiscated!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I,Too am wondering about cary on leaving Milan -most important is the camera. I can live with anything else-but does it seem cameras can be carried on ?
sandper
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Check your airline website, they all are updated frequently. Delta is allowing 1 carryon if the total dimension (L+H+W) is 45" or less and also allowing 1 personal item like a purse,laptop,or camera case.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 07:46 AM

"Given that a woman got onto a United flight from Heathrow (to the US) with matches, vaseline, a screwdriver, and a note referencing Al Queda"

This claim has now been denied by America's TSA, who say it was just made up by an imaginative airport employee.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM

As of today, mascara remains on the TSA banned list for cabin luggage.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM

I called United Airlines this morning re: the luggage rules as I have an international flight (Italy) in under 2 weeks from today. I, too, always take my suitcase as a carry-on for fear of lost luggage at my final destination. United said carry-on items such as a purse, bag, etc is fine but ALL luggage must be checked on for all international flights. I also used to keep a small toiletries bag in my carry-on purse and that now has to be put into my checked suitcase. Let's hope contact lens solution, shampoo and other fun liquids don't leak over all my clothes! This "carry-on must be checked-on" rule now is very annoying as it delays time at the arrival point. Plus, I have lost luggage by checking on bags, so not too keen on this. Otherwise, for all domestic flights, it is ok to take luggage as a carry-on.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM

We just flew home from Iceland. Icelandair has always had (before the events of the last week, anyways) a fairly strict carryon policy. Only one bag, the weight of which cannot exceed 13lbs. They also have weight and dimension maximums for checked luggage. I must say, as much as I chafed a bit at the carryon limit, it made boarding the easiest I have ever experienced in 15 years of business and personal travel. There was no jockeying to be the first on the plane in order to find a space for one's bag, there was no time spent shoving a bag into the overhead or trying to reconfigure the array of bags already there, there was no time spent giving up and gate checking bags. It was just board, sit down and we were gone. Not surprisingly, getting off the airplane was super quick as well. The fastest I have ever experienced and I fly several times a week. My new philosophy is that all airlines should follow Icelandair's example. It just made the whole experience so much simpler.

Have fun on your trip.
Taitai
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM

Last week, Air France (from Detroit to Paris) would not let me carry on a purse AND a small carry on!! It was a miracle I was able to jam my purse into the carryon! I have a feeling it was "miscommunication" among the screeners in Detroit.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:47 AM

To me a very easy solution would be to NOT even bring any of the banned items, makeup, toothpaste, contact lens solution and buy it over here in Europe. We do sell that stuff in stores here. Then you can carry your luggage on, buy cheap make-up and toss it before you leave.