cardiff vicinity tours

Jan 14th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

cardiff vicinity tours

We will be spending a few days in Cardiff next winter. We know about the city bus tour that leaves from outside the castle, but are there any other tours available? We don't want to rent a car, but would like to see Caerphilly, Chepstow, the Museum of Welsh life, etc. Any suggestions?
Thanks--
Susan

Jan 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Mucky-one for you!
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Hi Susan,
I have had a look and there don't appear to be any specific tours that cover all the places you mention.
But there are ways of getting to most places by public transport one way or the other.But these methods are really time consuming and you could find yourself in busses or trains for a lot of the time.
None the less it is possible.
I know Cardiff Bus have a route to the Museum of Welsh life at St Fagans.
This leaves from the Central bus station.

Where will you stay?

Caerphilly is easily accessible by train from Cardiff central or Queen st stations.The castle is just a short walk from Caerphilly station.
Chepstow is a little more difficult.#
But National Express might run busses to there from Cardiff.
Really a Hire car would be the a great way to do it but if that is not possible then public transport is probably the best way.
Have a look at these websites you should find most of your answers there and meanwhile I will investigate getting to Chepstow.
Bye for now

Muck

www.cardiffbus.com
www.nationalexpress.co.uk
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/cardiff/
Jan 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Ok
National express stop at Chepstow en route to most places and the fare from Cardiff is around £4 per adult

Muck
Jan 15th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
We haven't decided where we will stay, but stayed at the Angel on a brief tour once before and liked it. Also like the location of the Sandringham. Any comments on it?

Does anyone have any experience with Dragon Tours? The website looks good.
Susan
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:26 AM

The sandringham is quite an old hotel, not been there for some time. So I can't comment on accomodation, however it is located on StMary st/High st and depending upon when you go is a good location, the castle is 200yds away and all the shops are around you.
Th Millenium stadium is across the road.
However Friday and Saturday night is a nightmare there because this is the place where there are many pubs and clubs and at midnight the Taxis all collect here and the place is heaving with heaving drunks heading home. Taxi drivers spin round in the middle of the road causing chaos.
But if you avoid Fri and Saturday night its a good location. Also avoid a match day rugby or football, it gets very busy with 75000 fans heading for the Mill across the road.
The Angel is a lovely hotel as you know and is equally as close to the stadium, but away from the weekend party goers.
Not sure about dragon tours, will investigate.
Muck
Jan 19th, 2004, 05:04 AM

Found the Dragon Tours website, it appears to cover several different tours.
The Gold tour itinary covers a lot of ground in 10 days and the accomodation provided is of a high standard from what I can see.
If you enjoy tours and you are happy to spend long time in a coach of some sort and you can afford the money then it looks ok.
The tour guide appears to be very knowledgable and should add that special touch to the tour.

For me personally its too restrictive and to spend 10 days hurtling around wales at aseemingly fast pace would in my humble opinion not allow you to see or experience Wales in any real depth.
This would be scratching the surface.
If I were you I would save my £130 / day each and select a few places you would love to see and get public transport or taxis at your own pace. See them in depth and take your time. The planning for this type of trip is half the fun, and unless you are not able to work this independantly then I guess the tour is a good option.
But it is a lot of money £260 for two people a day is a lot of buying power.
keep us informed as to what you decide.
If I can help I will, just let me know.
Cheers
Muck

Jan 20th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Muck. I love planning a trip and agree with you about it being an important part of the experience. Gets me through many a dreary winter day.

We will have only about 4 days for next winter's trip to Wales as we are already booked into a London flat for the next week. I got the idea from Dragon Tours' site that a mini-tour might be fashioned. Maybe not though.

Part of our time in Cardiff will be to meet our daughter's new in-laws (who aren't physically able to show us their country, nor would we want to impose).

We love history, have genealogical connections to Chepstow, Caerphilly and Pembroke, and need a little dose of shopping now and then. Thinking along those lines, do you have any suggestions?
My son-in-law suggested we might want to hire a cab for a day. Any idea what that might cost?
Thanks for your help,
Susan
Jan 20th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Hi Susan,
That makes you nearly a quarter welsh, ...lol
With history in mind then your initial ideas of Carphilly castle chepstow and St Fagans museum of welsh life will probably fill most of your time, couple that with Cardiff castle and 1 day with your daughters new outlaws will pretty much fill it.
However with 4 full days in mind:
May I suggest something like this.
Day 1.
Visit family (Morning)
Castle Coch, Caerphilly castle (Afternoon) (easier by taxi)

Day 2
Chepstow & Castle (Coach from Cardiff central station)
(Evening) cardiff bay for dinner
Day 3
Museum of Welsh life (Bus or Taxi from central station)
Day 4
Cardiff castle ,city center shopping etc

This is do able but depends very much upon if public transport or taxi is used.Also where you stay in Cardiff.

Not sure what it would cost for a taxi and driver all day but I will make some enquiries for you to get a rough idea.
How long do you estimate yopu would need a taxi for ? 4or 5 hours or more what do you think?
If you want to e.mail me directly please do so.

Cheers

Muck
Jan 20th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Hi Again,
I called 2 companies at random, who I know nothing about and the cost appears to be abround £120 for around 5 hours.
This does seem expensive to me.
But may be fine for you.
Sometimes this cost is base to base, so may begin 30 mins before pick up and finish 30 mins after, so just to be aware of that.
The cars in this case were mercedes and Audi, however for more standard cars I am sure the cost comes down.
If you want to have some numbers or links to sites then let me know.
Unfortunately I can't recommend any as I have never used any of these services.
I am sure other people may be able to help with recomendations.

Cheers

Muck