Search

Where in Cornwall?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM
vcl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where in Cornwall?

We'll be in London from March 31 until April 29 and are considering taking a few days break in Cornwall. Unfortunately, so many towns look so fascinating, we can't decide where to base ourselves.
If you were going to Cornwall with a view to visiting picturesque towns with interesting architecture and perhaps a musuem or two, walking in some lovely gardens, and accomplishing all your siteseeing on foot or by public transportation, which town would you pick? (Specifics on transportation would be appreciated.)
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM

St Ives
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM

Rather than picking a picturesque town to STAY in, I'd suggest a central location so that you can readily branch out in all directions for daytrips. I'd say the Truro area would be the 'center of gravity'.

You'll want to get to the Polperro/Looe area, Mevagissey, Coverack, St Michael's Mount, Mousehole, St Ives, Padstow, Tintagel, etc, etc. To be sure you'd need a car.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:54 PM
vcl
Original Poster

Tuck:
Thanks for your suggestions. The car is definitely not an option; been there, done that, don't want to imperil the local population again. Several years ago we spent a couple of days in Penzance and enjoyed exploring the city and St, Michael's Mount. Unfortunately, the bus tour was not running on the day we had available. We're hoping some Fodorites have had experience either with local bus tours or private tours and would share their wisdom.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:17 AM

vcl

Can not give you a personal recommendation but OTS minibus & coach (bus) tours information is available on www.cornwall-online.co.uk
They are located Nr. Falmouth which is central.

Eden Project - www.edenproject.com
can be done without a car.

Sandy

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:42 AM

Another vote for Tintagel and Padstow.
Polperro is very picturesque too.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
vcl
Original Poster

Thanks SandyBrit. I've visited the website you suggested and e-mailed the tour company for further information.
Virginia
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:48 PM

vcl
When I was there many years ago, I found the local population to be very adept at jumping out of the way of my car at the last second. Some of them may look old, but boy can they jump.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM

This article from the NY Times is helpful for public transportation in Cornwall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/22/travel/22qna.html

You have to register to access it but it is free.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Looe, St. Aubyn's B&B is fantastic too. A great base to tour other parts of Cornwall.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM
vcl
Original Poster

Thanks for mentioning the article. It will be a big help. We've just about decided to stay in Truoro and concentrate on gardens in area. After the miserable winter around here (it is snowing again today) the thought of seeing flowers has incredible appeal.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM
vcl
Original Poster

We've booked the Royal Hotel in Truro (and I've learned to spell it correctly) on a week-end special at the end of April. It looks as if we can sightsee by train, bus and cab with relative ease.
Thanks to all for your help. I'll let you know how things worked out.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I always wanted to visit Cornwell and almost did. We were going to stay in Penzance at the B&B that former model( Jean Shrimpton) "The Shrimp" runs but due to a death, we cancelled.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM
vcl
Original Poster

We're back. Our long weekend in Cornwall worked out wonderfully. The Royal Hotel in Turo was a nifty old pile -- indeed it is a Grade 2 listed building which means it could not be altered to include elevators. Service was extremely accomodating and the attached restaurant served a fine, complimentary breakfast and excellent, albeit expensive, dinners. The staff was always willing to provide a bucket of ice for us ice-obsessed Americans.
We used the local bus to go out to St. Austell and the Eden Project. The bus ride was a little more than an hour and provided us with a view of some incredible scenery. The Eden Project is well worth a visit; the reclaimed clay pits a burst of color from both the outdoor plantings, the flag gardens, and the incredible domed structures that are the modern equivalent of the Victorian glass-house.
We were unable to figure out a satisfactory route to the Gardens of Helligan but the woman at the Truro Tourist Office suggested we visit Trellisick, a 10GBP taxi ride away. These riverside acres are famed for their azaleas, rhododendrons and camelias and all were in glorious bloom; along with tulips, daffodils, primroses, primulas and other colorful flowers I could not name. Both Eden and Trellisick had excellent facilities for visitors including attractive restaurants and well-stocked gift shops.

Could we have seen more if we'd been willing to rent a car? Of course. But we'd prefer to see a little less and be relaxed enough to enjoy what we do see.

We'll figure out how to get to Helligan the next time.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Andrewmac

So pleased you enjoyed yourselves.

If you do get to Cornwall again, Heligan Gardens can be reached by bus from St Austell Railway Station.

Also by train, Lanhydrock House & Gardens is a 45-minute picturesque walk from Bodmin Parkway, while Cotehele House & Gardens is another 45-minute walk from Calstock in the Tamar Valley. Calstock is 25 mins from Plymouth on a beautiful branch line.

Old May 12th, 2004, 04:23 PM

vcl:

Thanks for sharing your break in Cornwall without a car. Trellisick must have been beautiful, what a good choice.

Sandy
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM

ttt for orangetravelcat
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:53 PM

Thanks, SandyBrit. This is very helpful.
\
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM

If you have a chance check out "A Summer Place with Rooms" It's a cross over between a small lovely inn and a B&B. My sisters and our mum were there in Sept./02 and stayed in 2 of there rooms. They were absolutely georgeous done in a seaside resort decor. The food was gourmet and reasonable. Very nice. I can't put my hands on the brochure at the moment but if you go to goole you will find it i'm sure. If anyone is really interested i will find it. It' located in Penzance. Very close to everything including a great view of St. Michaels Mount.
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Noone get mad at me please because this saying came from my late DH's godmother who was born and raised in Cornwall.

Cornish born, Cornish bred,
Strong in the arm, weak in the head.

I never hear or read the about Cornwall without thinking about her and her saying. Cheers.