Carcassonne from Cannes?

Search

Carcassonne from Cannes?

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Carcassonne from Cannes?

It looks like it's over 300 miles -- true? Better to drive or train?

This sounds sick, but we want to go for 2 reasons -- to see the city, since we've never been; and to fulfill my live concert "fix" since Donovan and Marianne Faithful wil be playing the festival there the same night!!!

I'm thinking get there, explore, see the concert, spend the night, and head back to our base in Juan les Pins.

I'm not concerned over whether I'm insane or not. I already know the answer to that. The question is whether the plan is feasible!
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's insane. But you have your reasons, so go with it, if that's what you want to do. I don't know jack about train connections from Juan Les Pins, but I'd certainly be inclined to take the train as opposed to driving. Go to www.voyages-sncf.com and check out what's available. Keep in mind that renting a car for one or two days overseas is often as expensive as a 3-day rental
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM

It's feasible. Last year I drove Carcassonne to Apt which is north of Aix. My trip was 2/3 the distance of your trip. A one day turn around would be tough though.
If you do it stay here:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/chat...g_confem%20ail

If the train doesn't work out driving is my second choice.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM

Juan Les Pins is a nice town, and a great alternative to Nice.

I've been to Carcasonne 3 times and love the place. I've stayed in the old city each time.

However, you didn't say when the concert is. Probably not in the old city, as its access is limited to taxis and service vehicles.

Venere is another good site.
http://www.venere.com/france/carcassonne/

When you take the train to Marseilles, make sure you're on the correct section of the train as it often splits in two there.

Also try RailEurope for point-to-point rail journeys. Looks like around 7 hours, but also 7 hours you don't have to drive or buy petrol or pay tolls.
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:31 AM

You can leave Cannes as early as 08:26, connect in Montpellier, and arrive in Carcassonne at 15:25. If you want more time to explore Carcassonne, leave Cannes the day before the concert and spend two nights there. You can leave Cannes as late as 14:57, connect in Marseille, and arrive in Carcassonne at 21:26.

There is a direct train from Carcassonne to Cannes that leaves at 08:34 and arrives at 14:03.

According to viamichelin.com, if you stick to the autoroutes (freeways), the non-stop driving time from Cannes to Carcassonne is a little over four hours. You'll pay around €36.00 in tolls each way.
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for exactly the information I had hoped for. To further the discussion, and for purposes of tweeking, let me give you a little more info --

I'll already have a car -- have rented one for 11 days -- the whole time we're down in the south of France. I have rented a car in that area 3 times before, so am very familiar with the autoroutes, the small roads, and driving. Plus, I will once again take my Tom Tom with the France map downloaded.

We will be 3 people going -- leaving mom back in Juan les Pins since she's already spent time in Carcassonne.

I was looking at taking the train as an option, since I love taking the train and thought it might be faster. But when doing my research, I saw there's only a couple of trains, and plenty of lag time (waiting that is) in Marseilles, which is not one of my favorite places to hang out.

The festival uses 10 stages -- this particular concert will be in the main venue, Theatre Jean-Deschamps, which is within the Cite Medievale -- it's an outdoor venue within the walled city, and is apparently located at the site of the old closter next to St. Nazarius' Basilica. Having not been to Carcassonne, I'm guessing all that info means, based on my Sherlock instincts, that it is located in Old Town. But I don't know for sure. it kind of looks like the concert will be held in an old arena -- similar to what I saw in Verona at the Arena -- but looks like it was built in the early 1900's, so clearly not ancient.

The concert is mid-July.

I hope this added info helps focus the comments and assistance!

Thanks again!
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Rasta, where did you stay?
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Go Bruins!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM

We stayed at the Du Chateau right across from the old cite....lovely and although it is not cheap we loved it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM

I've driven that route twice, the actual driving time can be, and was, far longer than projected on any of the map sites.

Unless you find a hotel with parking, you may not be able to get anywhere near the old city. Separately from the drive to and from Nice, I've driven to Carcassonne about 5 times, the parking just outside the Cité fills up early but usually empties around 3:30 pm, a great time to go to tour. However, that won't be the case with a concert on.

I would be tempted to take the train but if you drive, check out what the festival recommends for parking. They will have a plan, I hope.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM

We drove to Carcassone in 2005 from St. Jean Cap Ferrat after spending an hour being lost trying to get past Nice (do to construction).

We stayed at Le Maison Sur Colline (if I spelled that right). I have lots of memories of both Carcassone and our room so must have gotten in fairly early in the day.
Old Jun 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM

HI Surfergirl, sounds like your plans are really taking shape!! You will have such a great time, I know!

BTW, we are going to Europe in the fall. It seemed a good idea to take advantage of my unemployment and to do it while we are still living on the side of the country that is 3,000 miles closer to Europe.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

All super-helpful info, thank you all!

Socialworker, what better way to spend your unemployment! One day soon we should do something together that is truly fabulous -- you and your husband are the greatest, most interesting couple ever!

Right now there seems to be a number of one night inn options open, so I'm trying to navigate the festival website since it seems they have 2 seating options available, but I can't figure it out.

I'm wondering if anyone can figure out how to get the close up tickets. I've figured out that some of the entertainment is free and some you pay for. There is a "pass culture" which I assume is a pass you purchase for a price. But the golden tickets -- where you get what would be equivalent to assigned seating in the 'pit' (using American terminology) is called the Carré d’or (golden square?).

When I go to FNAC or one of the other websites that sell online tickets, they seem only to be selling the general admission tickets. I'm starting to think, like at the LA Greek, the Carré d’or tickets mean you have to buy a series of more than one ticket to get in this inner circle. Is that right? Maybe someone could figure it out for me. Otherwise I guess I could call the box office and find out how it works.

Or maybe there's the equivalent of a "stubhub" that resells these seats (believe me, I've searched, but have come up empty!).

If anyone wants to try and help me, the program websites is
http://www.festivaldecarcassonne.fr/...ldeCarcassonne

and the main website is
http://www.festivaldecarcassonne.fr/...ldeCarcassonne
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM

Hi,

I just had a quick look at the program website. Did you know if you click on the little Union Jack on the left the site changes to English?

If you click on reservations. then click on online reservations, the list of concerts and events comes up. From there, you click on the concert you want, then I assume you see what's available and you order tickets. Carré d'or are the expensive seats in the front.

The passes are discounts if you're attending more than one event.

Can't spend more time on it but I think you'll be okay with the English version.

Sounds like great fun.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:27 AM

The point of buying a Carré d'Or ticket (1st and 2nd row in the pit) is that your seat is reserved at the time of your purchase. All other seats are on a first-come first-served basis.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'd like a reserved seat in the front, and I figured that was what it was, but I'm not sure how to purchase them. It could be that they sell quickly and once gone, they are taken off the FNAC website.

Maybe the Box Office can explain.

Yeah, I figured out the English version right away, but unfortunately either in English or in French, the website doesn't answer the question.

Oh well. Guess it's time to call, but thanks to all who responded -- as usual, very helpful!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Aww, such a lovely compliment, Surfergirl! I will go along with doing something fabulous any day of the week!!