Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will Villefranche sur mer work as base to visit riviera (no car)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have approx 4 days on the cote d'azur and would prefer to NOT rent a car. We like the idea of being in a smaller town (as opposed to Nice), but still have convenient links to public transport to see Soarge, Tende and various other villages mentioned in Stu Dudley's email itinerary (thanks Stu!).

I just want to know if this is practical--or should we consider staying in Nice to be closer to bus lines/ trains connections?

Thanks,
Bronwyn
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Maybe this will help:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/busses.asp
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM

If I was doing this trip and was focused on visiting the major cities (Cannes, St. Tropez, Monte Carlo, Nice) I would NOT rent a car. If the focus is the smaller Alpes Maritimes villages and with limited days, then I would definitely consider renting one as a more practical approach. Having your own transportation to travel to the smaller, far up villages will increase your flexibility and mobility. Of course you can reach most areas using public transport, but you will trade off sightseeing time. Your call.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM

I have been to Nice about 50 times. I have never rented a car, since I am usually solo. The train and bus are good for me. I also love Ville Franche Sur Mer, but as a day trip. You will need to connect in Nice in route to Tende. It would be easier connections for you in Nice, but it only takes 7 minutes by train from Ville Franche to Nice. So if you prefer the smaller village, it won't be that much of a problem. I prefer Nice.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM

>>You will need to connect in Nice in route to Tende. It would be easier connections for you in Nice, but it only takes 7 minutes by train from Ville Franche to Nice.<<

It may only take 7 mins to get to the Nice Ville station from Villefranche, but there are really no connections to Tende that work out OK.

Train schedule for a week-day in May:
Villefranche to Nice Ville
lv 9:24 arrive at 9:45 with 1 train change.

Nice to Tende
lv 7:21 & 12:36

There are many other interesting villages in the Nice Hinterland that would be worthwhile to visit, just make sure that the train/bus connections from Villefranche work out.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input about the logistics--very helpful. Sounds like staying in Nice and taking day trips from there will enable us to see more without renting a car.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM

We used it as a base to visit the area and it works great. A car in Nice is just a hassle. We would take the train over to Italy to shop and to go up to Tende ( yes you do have to take the 15 minute train back to Nice to go to Tende. I think we had to wait for the train to Tende about 30 minutes last summer). Nice walks up in the hills. Have fun
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Eze

If your plans are to stay only four nights in the area, i'd recommend you to stay in Nice.
Villefranche is ok if you wish to travel east, i mean, Eze, where i live, Monaco and Menton + Italy. You can do it taking bus line 100 (1 euro each travel).