Reload this Page >

Cote d'Azure - questions about day trips from Nice

Notices

Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Nice arriving midday on Monday Nov 23 and leaving mid day on Friday the 27th. So that leaves me three full days in which to do day trips. My priorities are Eze, Villefrance, Biot and Cagnes. Can I fit them all in. I know they are all small, and a few hours to wander around and take photos is all I need. But I'm wondering about the logistics.

For Eze I know there is both a bus option and a train option. Am I correct that the bus takes you up to the hilltop town while the train would drop you off down on the coast and then you'd need to get up to the hill top?

For Villefrance I see there is also a bus and a train option and since that town is down on the coast I would guess it doesn't matter which one. True?

Is there any way to get from Eze to Villefrance or vise versa without going back to Nice? One of them is on the coast, the other up on the hilltop so I'm having trouble understanding how they are connected.

For Biot - it looks like I should take the train to Antibes and then the bus. Is this fairly straight forward. Sounds like Antibes would be worth a couple of hours walking tour itself so maybe Biot and antibes would be a full day.

for Cagnes I have read conflicting info as to weather the mini bus that goes up to Haute Cagnes runs year round. November seems to be really low season with several things in the area actually closed the entire month. I don't want to plan a day and go to Cagnes to find there is no way to get up to the old town without private transportation.

So any advice/help? Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Here is the list of maps showing bus connections including Cagne:
http://www.lignedazur.com/plan/index.asp?rub_code=5

The first one shows the overall plan to get the idea:
http://www.lignedazur.com/ftp/FR_plan/Nice%20CANCA.pdf

Eze Village is connected by 3 buses.
Ligne d'azur 82 to Nice.
Ligne d'azur 83 to Eze SNCF station by ocean.
TAM 112 to Nice and Monaco.

The TAM site is:
http://www.cg06.fr/fr/servir-les-hab...s-et-horaires/

Here is site describing transport system centered around NICE:
http://www.allaboutnice.com/buses_an...s_in_Nice.html
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM

You are right about taking the bus to Eze Village. The train only runs along the coast. I have never done Eze and Villefranche in the same day, so I am not sure about the bus route. I think there is a bus from Villefranche to Eze Village. You can ask at the bus terminal. I prefer taking the train to Villefranche because of the view from the train station. You step off the train and look down on the town. Already camera time.

I have never been to Cagnes or Biot. I have read about them, but never made it there,maybe because of transportation connections.

The Picasso museum is in Antibes. It is a small new museum with a terrace right on the water. Just big enough to be interesting, but small enough not to be boring.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM

We spent 2 weeks in Nice in May and used the bus for Antibes, St Paul, Menton and Turbie. 1 Euro each way. Was very easy and enjoyable.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Hi isabel - I think you should seriously consider renting a car rather than using public transportation for this area. A car would give you lots of flexibility and you could see more towns during the three days.

Biot is small and I'm not sure if the bus takes you all the way to the top or stops below at the glass blowing area. The charming part is the town at the top of the hill.

I'd also recommend Tourettes-sur-Loup and other small towns in that area including Vence, St-Paul-de-Vence, Mougins, and Villeneuve-Loubet.

You would also have time to go further afield to towns in the Nice Hinterland such as Saorge.

You take such fantastic photos that you shouldn't limit your opportunities in this wonderful area.
Old Oct 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I've just studied those websites and it does look like I can take a bus from Villefranche to Eze or the train to lower Eze and then a bus to the upper village. So I think I'll try to combine both those towns in one day.

The websites weren't as clear in the other direction. The guidebooks seem pretty clear on train to Antibes and local bus to Biot. So my only problem is figuring out if I can get to Haute Cagnes by pubic trans in Nov.

adrienne - thanks for the comment on the photos. I am looking forward to getting some good ones in such a beautiful area. I don't want to rent a car as I will be alone for these four days and I don't rent cars unless I'm with someone else. I have been to Vence and St Paul, about ten years ago, my first European trip. Absolutely loved them and do want to go back but with such a short amount of time I don't think it will work for this trip.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 05:11 PM

Bkmk