day trips from Nice

Search

day trips from Nice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips from Nice

I'll be staying in Nice June 11-17. Would anyone have some advice on nearby villages, wineries, etc. that would be interesting to visit? I'd prefer to go by train, but would consider renting a car if it's deemed essential. Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM

I was there last year in August, and you can do wonderful day trips by train to the following locations: Monaco, Cannes, Antibes, Cap d'Ail.

Nice has a great train system which you will find easy to use.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:41 AM

You can also easily take a bus to St. Paul de Vence ( about 50 minutes) and Eze, both beautiful medieval hill town villages. St. Paul has more of a town to explore than Eze, but Eze has better scenery.

If you go to the Nice Tourist Board office on Promenade des Anglais, you should be able to get all the info you need on day excursions by train and bus.

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Up the road from St-Paul is another pretty hill town, Vence, with a lovely old center and lots of trees for shade. The Nice region isn't prime wine country, especially if you don't have a car.

Other villages to visit include old Mougins, Biot (glass-blowing), and Valbonne (relatively undiscovered and absolutely charming).

One trip I'd suggest is do-able by train and/or bus, a visit to St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. It's a beautiful penninsula, home to many elegant homes of the very wealthy and royalty as well. There's a good walking path that takes you around the edge of things, and you might plan to visit the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, with a fine collection of furniture, beautiful carpets, and objets d'art.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM

I second Biot. You can go to Menton on the bus, passing thru Monaco. Could stop in Monaco and do both in one day. We enjoyed Menton but be careful, it is very unfriendly toilet-wise. Every one we were directed to was out of order. None at the bus station or tourist office. So we drank a lot of coffee at cafes. Enjoy! It is a great area. CJ
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Thanks to you all.