Carcassonne and ...?...

Search

Carcassonne and ...?...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carcassonne and ...?...

I will have 4 days in the Southwest of France, from 01-04 August; am staying in a lovely hotel just south of Carcassonne. I saw this walled city about 30 years ago, but want to go again (I think!) Can anyone recommend "must-see's" in the Languedoc-Roussillon area and Southwestern France? I will rent a car, in Toulouse, and return it there. This is one region of France I've never seen! TIA for your help.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Travel & Leisure had a very good article about the area a couple of years ago, here's the link. If it doesn't work, just go to their site and enter Languedoc and the article is called "Field of Dreams". http://www.travelandleisure.com/invo...AC0002B3309983

Based on that article, my wife and I took a 4 day side trip when we were in Barcelona and stayed at lou Castelet in Fabrzon. It was wonderful countryside and there are really neat little towns in the area. Great food and cheap good wine. France also has a program where they nominate villages as "the most beautiful village in France" and in the area you are going is one called Lagrasse which was very pretty. We look forward to going back to the area. The people were very friendly.

We also went to Carcassonne and the walled city was still beautiful but somewhat overrun with tour busses. It was still worth seeing.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:06 AM

Albi is one of our favoriye towns. Have also enjoyed a stay in Cordes sur Ceil, which is nearby.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Castelnaudary, Revel, Gaillac, Puylauren, St-Ferréol, Cordes, Graulhet, Castres - the whole area is worth exploring. Albi is especially interesting, with its "bread box" cathedral and murals, lovely old pedestrian quarter, Toulouse Lautrec museum, and antique stores.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:28 AM

We thought Peyrepertuse (sp?) was one of the most impressive and beautiful sites of our 3 week trip last fall. It was a complete contrast to Carcassone (which we also enjoyed a lot)--a huge, lonely fortress out in the middle of nowhere with very few tourists. It was a bit of a drive but well worth it. Also, if you like natural areas, the Gorge du Tarn are spectacular! Have fun--I wish I was going!
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:25 AM

Hi

some ideas for Languedoc here : http://tlp.netfirms.com/tour5.htm

Peter