Search

A week in the Languedoc - Roussillon region

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A week in the Languedoc - Roussillon region

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend are planning on spending a week in Barcelona and a week in the Languedoc - Roussillon region of France (durng the first week of September).

We've found a really nice looking property available to rent in the town Olargues. I wondered if any one has any experiences of this town or nearby towns that they would like to share with us.

Thanks

Iain
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Hi Iain,

Don't miss Montpellier. One of the prettiest, fun and exciting small cities in France.

Have a great trip.

Ross
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:55 AM

newyorkais - What makes Montpellier "fun" and "exciting"...will be there soon and always looking for fun. Is it because it is a college town?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:02 AM
AR

Hi 4totravel.
Montpellier has a great atmosphere, and yes, I suppose a lot of it has to with the college - giving it a "young" feel. It is also a very historic city with great bars and world class restaurants (one of which was classes by the Sunday Times as one of the best 20 in the world). I love the place and visit on business regularly. The Opera area is buzzing at night.
As for the area itself, there is Nimes nearby and don't miss St Guilhelm le desert which is a hilltop village with a church that was the retreat of St Guilhelm.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:14 AM

My wife and I did the same thing and had a great time in L-R. Go on Travel & Leisure and there's a great article titles Field of Dreams. I've given you the link but if it doesn't work just go to their web site and type in Languedoc. http://www.travelandleisure.com/invo...AC0002B3309983

Based on that article we decided to go their after Barcelona. We stayed in a great little guest house in Fabrezon called lou Castelet which was good for our day trips to Carcassonne, Lagrasse and many others. On the way up there from Barcelona also stop in Collioure along the coast. Mattisse lived and painted there. The area was beautiful, the people were friendly, good wine and food. Our favorite little town was Lagrasse with the French designation as one of the most beautiful villages in France. We would certainly go again.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I was in Olargues and surrounding area last fall. I wrote a detailed trip report about it, which can be found at www.slowtrav.com - go to Trip Reports and to St-Cirq's Totally Unplanned Trip.
I thought it was stretching it a bit to give Olargues the Plus Beaux Villages de France appellation, but still, it's an attractive hill town. And there are many interesting places to explore using it as a base - Lamalou Les Bains, the spa town, being high on my places I'd like to revisit in that area.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM

Hi

plenty of Languedoc information here : http;//tlp.netfirms.com

Peter
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in Plaisance one year.
I thought the village of St Guilhem-le-desert was very beautiful as well as Castelnou.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:51 PM

We are in Montpellier right now with our two children, ages 10 and 13. We want to treat them to a typical french meal (other than pizza and crepes!) but don't want to break the bank. does anyone have suggestions for specific restaurants? Many thanks,
Lynne
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Hi

Think about L'Entrecote near the Comedie.
I use it most times I'm in Montpellier.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Hi

I was there today, but had sandwiches with a friend instead.

Peter