Search

Caravaggio

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caravaggio

I don't see any posts about the National Gallery's Caravaggio show in London.
Anyone seen it?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:03 AM

The Economist gave it a good review.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes, they did, didn't they? Called it a blockbuster, as I recall. In fact, it made me book a trip in May, just before it closes.
I trust the Economist, of course, but I'd still feel more comfortable if I had some Fodors feedback which is always first-hand!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I leave for London tomorrow and will try to see the exhibit...though I can't promise as I am very bad about sticking to itineraries in good weather! If I do see it, I will post a review when I get home.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:10 AM

I'm going Thursday...will let you know how it looks. But hopefully someone here has already seen it.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Hi Vancouver!

I saw the exhibition in Naples in January and just this Thursday again in London. It is wonderful and NOT to be missed. Unfortunately, not all the works shown in Naples made it to London (one of my own favourites was missing).

I would suggest you do it on a weekday morning to avoid the very large crowds. You can still buy tickets at the Gallery, even if none are available on the website.

See the 20 minute film first, which sets the context for the exhibit (his last works while he was on the run for murder). I highly recommend the audio guide (better than the commentary in Naples) recorded by the curator, a Carravagio expert, who put the show together for the National Gallery. I promise, you will NOT be disappointed.

While you are in London, also see the Turner, Monet, Whistler exhibition at the Tate. It is also quite wonderful. While you are at the National Gallery, also visit their wonderful collection of Turners (I spent over 5 hours over two days there J )

There is also an “Arts & Crafts” exhibition at the V&A (did not get to see it).

Have a wonderful trip.

Regards Ger (from Victoria, B.C. )
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, Ger. I was lucky to get an early weekday reservation - I didn't know all that other stuff was going on!!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM

yk saw it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34579780

(Scroll down to her report on Day 7.)

Also in her report she provides these links:

Links to Caravaggio exhibit reviews
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/revie...426098,00.html

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....495457,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/editor/sto...427434,00.html (a review of reviews)

I remember reading one of the reviews that 16 of 23 extant Caravaggios are in the exhibition. Two or three paintings didn't travel from the Naples exhibition. And the big masterpiece in Malta is too big to travel.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Hi Ger, can you comment on how easy it is to buy tickets in the Gallery? I'm thinking of passing through London on May 21 -- just checked the website and tickets are all sold out.

Since I'm planning to make a special stop for the exhibition, it'd be good to know how easy it is to buy tickets on the spot. I'm planning to call them tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Hello 111op:

I had intended to buy my ticket before hand, on the National Gallery Internet site, but could only make arrangements at the last minute. When I finally got around to it (3 days before my intended visit), there were no tickets available. I sent a note to the National Gallery (pleading for a ticket) and received a very pleasant response to tell me that there were still tickets available at the Gallery. They also suggested calling Keith Prowse on 0870 906 3891 (from NA, that would be 011-44-(1)-870 906 3891). The (1) is in brackets, as this might be a cell-phone number, so try with and without the (1).

I arrived at about 1430 on Thursday, and they were selling tickets for the 1600 showing, which was great, as it gave me an opportunity to explore the gallery for a while.

So, it was easy. However, the closer you get to the end of the exhibition, the more difficult it will be to get the ticket.

Hope this helps.

Regards Ger
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Wow, excellent! Thanks Ger.

I'll try and call them tomorrow.

The exhibition closes on May 22, and I really can only see it on May 21. I see from the website that premium tickets at 10 for May 22 are still available (more than double the usual price).
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:03 PM
yk

Hi Vancouver-

I saw it in March. 111op already posted the link to my trip report and the news article links for reviews. I hope you enjoy it.

GER-
I didn't realize you saw it already! What do you think??? Which one you missed? Also, did you think it was really dark at the National Gallery?

BTW, Ger, if you prefer to reply privately, you can email me at ykfodorsathotmaildotcom
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:02 AM

My husband saw it : he said it was very good but absolutely heaving. He pre-booked on the website & went on a Friday at 3pm. Something of which you may not be aware is that there are only 16 pictures.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:12 AM

So that is where that picture in Rome's Capitoline museum went, on loan.

There's a sad blank on the wall...
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:55 AM

I guess it's easier than I thought.

I called Ger's number, also listed on the webpage:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/ex...io/tickets.htm

I waited for ten minutes this morning (called around 6:10 NY time, which I guess is 11:10 London time) and couldn't get through. But I just called again and bought my tickets.

Quite good availability for May 21, in fact. So web availability means nothing. I asked about that and they said that you could still possibly buy tickets by phone.

Tickets are 8.90 pounds each (1.40 booking fee) if I got the price right.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:25 AM

To correct myself, there're obviously more than 23 Caravaggio paintings. I wonder what that number 23 is -- maybe it's the number of his late works.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Hello Yk:

I was in London and last Thursday afternoon, I visited the Caravaggio exhibition in the National Gallery. Comparing and contrasting the experience between Naples and London exhibits:

- Firstly, there were several paintings missing in London (as Caroline said, only 16 out of the 23), including one of my personal favourites: The Seven Works of Mercy (http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/c/car...9/53mercy.html). This is normally resident in Church of Pio Monte della Misericordia, in Naples. I am sorry you missed it, so you MUST organize a trip to Naples to see it. It is divine.
- Crowds: Now I know what you were talking about! It was far too crowded. There was probably the same amount of people as in Naples, but the rooms there were bigger, so it was possible to view the paintings from many angles, and the ceilings higher, so you never felt cramped. Of course, the English were very well-mannered, as usual, so there was no pushing and shoving; everyone got their turn
- Display: In Naples, it was much easier to appreciate the work. The paintings were displayed in very grand rooms, with proportions that could support the size of the canvas. However, in London, it was a more intimate experience. The darkness of the London exhibition created a sombre mood and I can only think that was deliberate.
- The commentary in London was better than Naples. I also thought the 20 minute film a great idea.

I was glad to get the opportunity to see the exhibition for a second time.

Thanks so much for recommending the Turner-Monet-Whistler exhibition – it was excellent! I love both Turner and Monet, but never had much time for Whistler before, as I basically judged him on the one painting of his I knew – his cranky old mother. I now have a new appreciation of his work. I bought the catalogue. I decided not to buy the Caravaggio catalogue and instead will buy a book that shows all his work.

111op: Glad you got your ticket. The paintings in the Caravaggio exhibition are his last works, created when he was on the run from Rome, charged with murder, and living in Naples, Malta & Sicily. He was quite the character – genius certainly has its price. Try to get to the Tate exhibition and also spend a few hours in the National Gallery permanent collection: It is a feast. I discovered some new artists that I have to explore.

Regards Ger
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I don't recall that the National Gallery has a particularly extensive display of Turner (there is a room with both Lorraine and Turner) as
OReilly says. The major collection of Turner is at the Clore Gallery attached to the Tate Britain and is devoted exclusively to Turner.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:29 PM

jsmith:

Yes, you are right, there is an excellent Turner collection at the Tate and I visited the collection just before going into the Turner-Whistler-Monet. Actually, I was more familiar with his later works in the Tate than the earlier ones in the National Gallery. Interestingly, many of his later works were never exhibited and some critics thought he had gone quite mad, yet these are the works that I recognized.

I think there were about 8-10 Turners in the National. 2 were in a small room (“Dido Building Carthage” (apparently his favourite painting)) with 2 of "Claude" Lorraine, to show how Turner was influenced by Claude and his extraordinary skies. There were about 6-8 paintings in the "Britain from 1750-1850” (along with Reynolds, Gainsborough and Constable). Turner’s “Rain, Steam, and Speed” is in one of the last galleries (42 or 43).

‘Claude” is one of the artists I “discovered” on this trip that I intend to learn more about.

Regards Ger
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:12 PM

BTW, there was a movie made in 1986 titled "Caravaggio". It apparently experienced the same ignomous reviews and death as the recent Modigliani. Perhaps, some poster who subscribes to Netflix might check if it's available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -