Car, train, bus??

Search

Car, train, bus??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car, train, bus??

Hi, I am planning on going from Rome to Sorrento and staying in the area for one week. Intend to do day trips to Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Priano, visit Pompeii and overnight at Capri. Should I take the train to Naples, ferry to Sorrento and then buses for daily trips? Anybody know what an average round trip train fare would be? Not sure if we should rent a car for the week and drive from Rome to Sorrento and back or purchase a train pass for the week. HELP!!
Thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 11:35 AM
ira

Hi Carole,

Recently returned from a week on the AC. We stayed in Praiano at the Hotel Le Sirene, which we heartily recommend. They have a web site.

I suggest that you take the train from Rome to Naples and then the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and a bus to your final destination, if you are traveling light.

If you have a lot of luggage, I suggest that you consider a private car from Naples to your AC hotel.

Praiano is a verrrrrrrry small town. You won't want to do a full day there. There are two good restaurants: La Strada and La Brace.

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:39 AM

Carole - You won't want a train pass.

You can use buses/ferries for all your day trips along the Amalfi Coast, and train (Circumvesuviana) to get to Pompei.

BUS fares along the Amalfi coast are cheap.
Approx. fares (single) are:

€ 1.20 Sorrento-Positano
€ 2.20 Sorrento-Amalfi
€ 1.00 Amalfi-Ravello

FERRY fares (single) are approx.

€ 5.00 Positano-Amalfi
€ 11.00 Sorrento-Amalfi
€ 10.00 Sorrento-Positano

TRAIN fares (single) are aprrox.

€ 22.50 Rome-Naples
€ 2.90 Naples-Sorrento
€ 1.70 Sorrento-Pompei

Public transport will generally work out cheaper for 1/2 people than a week's car hire for touring this area.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 03:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
We took the Eurostar (2nd class)from Rome Termini to Naples for 22.50 euro in June then the circumvesuviana train on to Sorrento for just a few euro. This Circumvesuvia probably stops in Praiano as it seems to make 20 stops between Naples and Sorrento. There is also the Marozzi bus that leaves from the Tiburtina metro/bus station in Rome. It costs 19 euro and only makes a few stops between Naples(not in Naples) and Sorrento. The problem with the bus is it only makes one or two runs per day leaving at 6 or 7 am and around 3 or 4 pm and the Tiburtina area is not the best after dark. The good thing about the bus is not having to transfer or worry with your luggage and you can book online and select your seat.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 03:57 AM

Rome to Naples then onto Sorrento by train,then local buses,train,boat for day trips.Very cheap very easy.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The prices i gave were one way. I think the ones Steve gave were also one way.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I agree with most posters, unless you are totally overwhelmed with luggage, take the train to Naples; transfer to the Circumvesuviana and use it for day trips from Sorrento to Ercolano and Pompeii. The bus is fun from Sorrento to Positano or any of the other stops from there to Ravello. We liked buses up to Ravello and then boating back from Amalfi to Positano, our home base.

We syaed at the Albergo Lorelei e Londres-gorgeous views, decent restaurant and we had a great time with the proprietess-Steves to the contrary.
btw, if you like 18th century items, don't miss the museum in Sorrento Museo Correale. Great views, lovely porcelain and intarsial wood working.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. No car, we will do the trains, buses and ferries. We don't bring a lot of luggage (22" for each one of us) so that is not a problem. I am sure my husband will enjoy our trip that much more not driving and me not having to worry about driving directions. Thank you all again! Happy Travels.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:24 AM
ira

Hi,

Just a small correction. The Circumvesuviana travels between Naples and Sorrento.

It does not stop in Praiano, which is south of Sorrento on the Amalfi Coast.