Car service from Prague airport

Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Car service from Prague airport

Has anyone used a reliable car service from the Prague airport to the city center? What about bus or train options? Thanks!!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM

In 2006, we used Prague Ariport Shuttle as recommended by several posters here. We were pleased with the driver and the price (sorry--I don't remember what it was). He met us just as the website described and was perfect for our introduction to Prague. The website is: http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/

Prague is a lovely city. Have a great trip.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM

Last December we had a great tour guide who can arrange your airport pick up/return.

His name is George Unger and his phone is 00420602366198, I do not remember if the country code is included in that number (Dialing Code Country: 420 Area Code: 02), but you can try.

George was a great guide -with a car- during the 4 days we were in Prague, and even took us to Karlovy Vari. Prices in Prague are not that high since they do not have Euros yet.
Prague is a marvelous city.
Have a great trip.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I will be there the first week of December. I am travelling solo and am sooo excited to see the city.
Jun 24th, 2008, 04:35 PM

We just returned from Prague, and we used a shuttle called "123-Prague" for transportation to and from the airport. Its website is at http://www.123-prague.com/

I don't remember where we learned about this, but it was well done and costs about half the price of a taxi. Because it is a shuttle, there is some risk of waiting for the remaining passengers, but the company promises that any delay will be short (less than 30 minutes, I think I remember).

We waited about 20 minutes for the other party at the airport, and our ride to the airport was direct (i.e., no other passengers or stops).

It is very easy to reserve at the website, and we were impressed with the service. The cost for 2 of us was 18 Euro each way.
Jun 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Public transit is easy and cheap. Take either the 100 or 119 bus, depending on which metro line is most convenient: 119 takes you to the green/A line, and 100 takes you to the yellow/B line. The bus stop is right in front of the airport, and it drops you right at the metro. Much, much cheaper than any other option. I chose this option on my last trip to Prague and would do it again without hesitation.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Therese, I don't disagree with your approach, but it doesn't work very well if the hotel is nowhere near the subway. We would have had to make a third transfer to a tram to get to our hotel and, in a new city after an overnight flight, that was not an attractive option. If the subway stop is easy walking distance from the hotel, your suggestion is a good one. Otherwise, a direct trip may be a better option.
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Thanks to all of you, I think we can get from airport to Metro. However, our apartment is across from the American Embassy. I see a Metro stop in the area but am not sure how far away it is nor the name of it. Could we walk to apt. from Metro stop with small suitcases?
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:16 AM

You make an excellent point, jd_dallas, and proximity to transportation is one of the things I consider when booking a hotel or apartment. So a hotel in Mala Strana, particularly one up a steep hill, would not be as ideally suited for this approach.

It's also not ideal if you're dealing with a family or larger party (elcon's trip is solo, based on other recent posts here), as one quickly gets that "herding cats" feeling. And of course when you've got more people the private transit options make more financial sense as well.
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:51 AM

The name of the closest metro station is Malostranska. Were I you I'd catch the tram from the metro to Malostranske Namesti and walk the remaining 2-3 blocks from there. Very helpful maps are to be found at google maps, as most large cities have good, detailed satellite images. You can typically see the cars on the streets, and that gives you a good idea of the scale. The names and locations of metro and tram stops are clearly indicated.

This area is one of the more difficult to access by public transit, as it's hilly (I don't know for sure how hilly Tržištì street, where the embassy is located, is, but that area is generally pretty hilly) so the metro skirts it and it's not as well served by trams either. You'll also have to change metro lines, as it's the one that's not served by a direct bus from the airport.

So, I'd do this in a heartbeat, and would probably have my family do it with me, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to somebody who wasn't as comfortable using public transit in a new and foreign city. On the other hand, if you're used to using public transit then go for it.
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Above post directed to BSSellers query.
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Thingorjus DOES NOT RECOMMEND Prague Airport Shuttle Service.

They are UNRELIABLE, especially Chris.

Thingorjus
Jun 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM

You might want to check out www.mike-chauffeur.cz. We have used his service a couple of times and feel
he is reliable and trustworthy. If you put mike-chauffeur in the search box you will get other recommendations for him, I believe.
Jul 11th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Proenza_Preschooler, imagine my dismay, as Chris, the owner of www.prague-airport-shuttle.com that you suggest that we are unreliable. I presume you had a bad experience with us, did you contact me? I guess you must have as you actually slander me. Perhaps you would like to enlighten the Fodorites as to why this is as opposed to making a blanket statement.

Oh, and if you want to reach George Unger, mentioned above, feel free to contact us as he actually works for me.
Jul 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Thingorjus, sorry to be a pest, I do wish you would be so kind as to tell me (us) what happened. I just had a call from George and he is concerned he may have done something wrong, I told he never fear, I am the guilty party. You know www.prague-airport-shuttle.com is listed in Time Out, AA Weekend Escape Prague,Rough Guide and,indeed Fodors Guide and it is rather distressing to me to have a poster on Fodors post negative comments about my company and of course me! ;-)
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:31 AM

We have used AAA Taxi on several occasions and find them invariably efficient, speedy, and affordable. You can pre-book or they usually have cars and a dispatcher at the airport.
Jul 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Chris, three years ago you NEVER PICKED me up to take me to Prague Airport for return trip to US. I almost missed my flight. Thankfully, my hotel (the Esplanade across from the Opera House) called me a cab.

I called you numerous times on your mobile, but you never answered.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Jul 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Well, that will certainly be easy to check!

the weak and feeble chris